2 or more users working on the same instance

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ewsemmes

2 or more users working on the same instance

Post by ewsemmes »

How does Aware IM prevent 2 or more users from making changes to the same Business object instance? How are simultaneous edits handled? That is, does Aware IM employ a type of record locking? How does Aware IM handle an incomplete transaction?

Thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

How does Aware IM prevent 2 or more users from making changes to the same Business object instance? How are simultaneous edits handled? That is, does Aware IM employ a type of record locking?

Aware IM supports internal versioning for each instance of a business object. That is, if one user opens a form of a business object for editing and then takes 5 minutes to enter his changes and in the meantime somebody else commits changes to exactly the same instance of a business object, Aware IM will reject changes of the first user when he finally commits his changes. This is because Aware IM will recognize that the version of the instance obtained by the first user is obsolete compared to the version already stored in the database. The user will then have to re-read the up-to-date instance and re-enter his modifications.

How does Aware IM handle an incomplete transaction?

Aware IM employs the mechanism of database transactions to perform any operation in the system. Transactions perform data locking and data isolation. Aware IM automatically creates a transaction for every external request to the Aware IM server and automatically commits the transaction at the end of such a request. If anything fails in between the entire transaction is rolled back. You can read more about Aware IM and transactions in the Aware IM User Manual.
Aware IM Support Team
ewsemmes

RTFM

Post by ewsemmes »

I apologize for these questions. Your user manual is formidable but I suspect has all the answers I seek. Your application is innovative, I'm eager to build my solution and your forum is a very convenient method for answers. Thanks for your patience! I'll start RTM.
Best Regards,
ewsemmes
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You are very welcome. There's no need to apologize - our forum is to provide answers for you.

Best Regards
Aware IM Support Team