New Document Types

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ghilton

New Document Types

Post by ghilton »

Hi

Has any one added a new document type? I want to be able to add a document Template which is a PDF file so users can view and print but cannot edit.

This is not in the list at present and the manual is going on about writing and compiling code as a new class is needed?

Cheers
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You don't need to add a new document type for PDF - it is already supported in the document type called Report
Aware IM Support Team
ghilton

PDF

Post by ghilton »

In the Control Panel and the Docs, Templates and reports in the document type drop down PDF is not there?

I have PDF documents I would to import here for our clients these contain import T&C's and other information.

So how do I do this? Importing them in as Word Docs obviously does not work?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

If you just need to import an existing PDF document (or any other document for that matter), you can just define an attribute of the Document type and at run-time import the document into this attribute.

You only need document templates if you want Aware IM to automatically resolve expressions in tags inside a template.

Please refer to the Aware IM documentation for more details.
Aware IM Support Team
ghilton

Docs

Post by ghilton »

Sorry you have lost me know, I have looked in the AwareIM Docs but couldn't find anything apart from writing my own jarva plugin?

Define an attribute where?

:shock:
ghilton

Document Management

Post by ghilton »

Ok I have found a little on the 'Working With Documents and reports' in the AwareIm Docs, is there any example that shows how this would work?
tford

Post by tford »

Graham,

When creating a BO attribute, you just select "Document" from the Type drop down. When you have a BO attribute of Document type, users can import PDFs (or other types of Docs like support mentioned).

When you create this Document type attribute, AwareIM's default from automatically creates a browse button on the form that the user clicks on to add push the document into AwareIM. It's very slick.

AwareIM can even receive emails with PDFs attached & store them in this BO attribute. It's very slick!

Tom
tford

Post by tford »

Graham,

You can see the Document type used in the DocumentManagement sample application. It is found in the DocumentFile attribute of the Revision BO.

Tom
ghilton

Docs

Post by ghilton »

Hi Tom

Ok I see this but it is really not what I need to do, I have a bunch of standard documents that I want the user to open, view and print. I don't need the user to do anything more like import or export!

The Visual P of Agency has a menu of 'letter' under here at present it has an HTML document to open. Under here I would the Agency to see a few more other documents on the menu and when clicked opens the document. In a normal web site I would use hyperlinks.

I do not really need anything more it should be quite easy to do, they are a mixture of word docs and PDF's which are our companies standard T&C's and other other information for our clients.

Cheers

Graham
tford

Post by tford »

Graham,

There are a couple of ways to do that depending on your situtation.

Do I understand it right that that for example, you might want all users to see 5 menu items like this:

Customer Letter
Collections Letter
Sales Letter
Payment Letter
Letter 5

And that the document that is retrieved by clicking the menu option is exactly the same for all users.

Thanks,
Tom
ghilton

Docs

Post by ghilton »

Hi Tom

Correct

:)
tford

Post by tford »

Graham,

If that's what you want, then you can display them two different ways:

1- Just put those docs out on a server that can be reached by URL. For example, create a menu item called "iPhone User Guide" with Type of URL. Then the URL would be: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf

This option gives you easy control over opening the doc in a new window, the same window, etc.

2- Another way would be to store the Docs inside AwareIM in the SystemSettings BO. Let's say SystemSetttings.CollectionLetter would be the first one. An administrator would load the CollectionLetter document into AwareIM for all users.

Create a process called DisplayCollectionLetter that says:
DisplayDocument SystemSettings.CollectionLetter

Create a menu option with Type of "Start Process" that starts "DisplayCollectionLetter".

Tom
ghilton

Docs

Post by ghilton »

Cool I will give this a try to see which is the best one for us!

As always thanks for the help! I will let you know

Cheers

Graham :D
ghilton

Docs

Post by ghilton »

Hi Tom

I have tried the URL but have http 404 errors from tomcat - Tom I sent some screen dumps via email hope you don't mind!

Thanks
tford

Post by tford »

Graham,

You can also copy the document that you want to link to a menu option in the folder C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\AwareIM\

Then you will have a menu option of URL type with the URL in the format: filename.extenstion

For example, the URL could be CollectionLetter.PDF or CollectionLetter.Doc

AwareIM automatically looks in the path above.

When you install new versions of AwareIM, you will have to re-copy any docs that you have in the folder C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\AwareIM\

Tom