How to change a reference attribute after saving an object.

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
uche40

How to change a reference attribute after saving an object.

Post by uche40 »

Actually, i would like to know if it is possible to change the type of relationship to a reference object after saving an object. I had mistakenly set all my attribute references to "peer"while i actually need for them to be "owner of" but the config tool does not seem to let one makes changes to that. Is there a way round it or do need to delete all my reference attributes and redo it all again.

I am currently evaluating awareim and want to make sure it is a good fit for me before i buy the developer version.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You have to re-create the object, unfortunately. The underlying database relationships are too hard to change if we were to allow changing the relationship type dynamically - hence, this limitation. We hope to get around this limitation in the future
Aware IM Support Team
uche40

Post by uche40 »

ok i guess i'll just have to delete all the reference attributes and start over again. Thats a lot of work though if you have a lot like i do. But thanks.
Additionally, Just to make sure. If i choose the "owner of" option say for an object attribute such as clients in a relationship with say items object, that means that when a client is deleted, then all the items for that client is deleted too?

Do i have to also set the items relationship to "owned by" is setting the relationship in the client object enough.]?
tford

Post by tford »

If i choose the "owner of" option say for an object attribute such as clients in a relationship with say items object, that means that when a client is deleted, then all the items for that client is deleted too?
yes
Do i have to also set the items relationship to "owned by" is setting the relationship in the client object enough.?
No. The setting of the items relationship is set to "owned by" automatically when you create the attribute in the owner BO. There is a section in the owner BO attribute labeled "Matching attributes in .....". You simply type in a name in the Create _______ field.

Tom
uche40

Post by uche40 »

Thanks a lot for the update. I wish i had know that earlier. I must have missed that part when reading the manual.