License & Product Key Questions

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
twhitehurst

License & Product Key Questions

Post by twhitehurst »

If I create an executable for a client and lets say that client has 5 employees. Then I understand that the runtime license would cover this situation as the runtime comes with 5 user licenses.

But, if the clients of that company are not required to have a license how do we know the difference between a companies "customers" and an employee that requires a seat? Is it based on an actual login name? In other words, if the companies customer requires a login name and password then they need a seat and all "guests" do not?

The way I understand it, is the company needs to buy the number of seats that match the employees, contractors etc of the system. But how is it possible to determine if a user is an employee, contractor or customer??

Also, concerning Product Keys. If I create an executable for a client and they enter the product key this is good. If that client were to take that executable and product key could they then copy the application and product key to other servers or say give it to their friend down the street and create a Piracy situation?

Sorry for the strange questions we are just working on licensing and want to get it right for us and Aware.

Thanks for all you do!!
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

> But, if the clients of that company are not required to have a license how do we know the difference between a companies "customers" and an employee that requires a seat?
When you develop an application for a particular type of business, you would probably want to configure employees and customers of that business differently. This includes different business objects to represent employees and customers, different access levels, different forms, etc. Then you may add a rule to your application to count the number of instances of type Employee and refuse registration of new employees if the number exceeds a certain limit. The number of registered customers may remain unlimited, even if they are granted access to the system and have a login name and password.

In any case you should have a license distributed with your application to your clients that includes terms consistent with the Awaresoft Software License Agreement in regards to the named user licenses. The clients are required to accept the license to use your application, which makes them responsible for managing the user licenses. If they need more employees to use your application, they should request additional named user licenses from you.

> Also, concerning Product Keys.
A product key you give to a particular client will not work for a different installation made using the same executable. You can give the same executable to different clients, but each of the clients will require a unique key.
Aware IM Support Team