Globally Distributed AWAREIM Deployment

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
czillman

Globally Distributed AWAREIM Deployment

Post by czillman »

I have an awareim application that is running in one location in the USA and would like to improve performance for new users in Austrailia and the UK. I was thinking that I need to deploy a server to each location that would run the same application.

I would like some guidance on the simplest, least complex and most easily supportable system architecture. Is there any way to deploy 3 very simple identicle systems and have them update each other once a night? Will I be forced into deploying ORACLE databases globally?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Cheers, Charles
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Charles,

why do you think that having separate servers distributed in different locations will improve performance? Presumably the server in the US is also accessed remotely by users, so will it make a significant difference if it is accessed from another coast of the US or from the UK/Australia?

It would probably make more sense to have several servers within one location in the US if the existing server is overloaded.

If you do feel that it would make the difference to have several servers in different physical locations then you would need to synchronize databases every now and again.
Aware IM Support Team
czillman

Post by czillman »

Perhaps, I have made a poor assumption.

I was thinking that I would need to distribute the servers to get the best performance. I have not looked at the efficiency of each transaction over the internet and I just assumed that AWAREIM was not tuned to run efficiently over very long distances with potentially long latencies.

I would be very interested to see if anyone analyzed the performance of the application over long distances. In a perfect world I would love to read a performance comparison between distributed and centralized to satisfy my curiosity.

However, if there a recommended single site architecture for MAXIMUM performance I would gladly consider the option.

What would the ultimate hosting environment for AWAREIM look like I wanted my users to connect from around the globe?

How many servers?
What host operating system?
How would they work together with a single oracle database?
How would I tune the memory of each server?
How would I tune the OS and network drivers?

I think this is the time for a great white paper on scalable AWAREIM deployment. ;)

Please, let me know how to get started.