How to look in another location for BASDB??

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
geoff

How to look in another location for BASDB??

Post by geoff »

I need to have my whole Aware system and MySQL database installed on a dedicated hard drive (E:).

No problem installing AwareIM on E: and no problem installing MySQL (it automatically installs on C:/Program Files/..).

Per MySQL instructions, I changed the datadir in mysql to "E:/Aware/Data" and added the databases BASDB and BASDBTEST.

But I am getting errors that AwareIM is not finding them at startup. Can you please tell me how to do that?? (My attempts at changing basserver.props DriverURL per Installation manual didn't work for me).
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Aware IM should automatically create these databases. You don't need to set data directory either. Try to manually delete BASDB and BASDBTEST databases and run Aware IM again
Aware IM Support Team
geoff

Post by geoff »

Thanks for reply Support, but the problem is still there. I did as you said and got the error "......unknown database basdb" on "Test Connection" during Aware install.
Even starting from scratch again with both MySQL and Aware installs, I still get the error.
Am I doing something so unusual trying to store the data on another drive???
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Have you changed the MySQL password at any time. If you do an uninstall of Mysql and then re-install it will want the old password.
geoff

Post by geoff »

Thanks for reply ACDC, I am now at the point of no password at all for MySQL and have no problem using it to access non-Aware databases within the root.

From the error, it seems Aware will always look for BASDB in the root C:/MySQL/Data and I note that settings in the Aware props/options files do not actually specify (or allow) a root directory change.

Support - if there are any logs or something I can send/tell you about, let me know as I think this is a really useful thing for others who might be dealing with HUGE databases and want it on a dedicated drive - my client creates 160 records per day on an existing db of 43,000 records!
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I really don't think that Aware IM uses any particular drive for MySQL. It must be something MySQL-specific. Maybe the driver's settings. Have you tried to Google on this problem?
Aware IM Support Team
geoff

Post by geoff »

Thanks support. Your point is the critical one - whether or not "AwareIM uses a particular drive for MySQL" which is really what my question is. Perhaps the creators of Aware IM can confirm?

If it does use a particular (default) drive, then allowing other drives is something to give even more functionality to an already great product. If not, then it is a MySQL issue and I can focus in that direction.

I checked google and nothing on google or MySQL manual solves it.

Has anyone ever tried this before? I can't believe I am the only AwareIM fan who ever wanted to put the MySQL database on another drive!!
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

We have checked with Aware IM creators and they confirm that there is nothing specific to the C: drive in Aware IM. We are using Connector/J driver for MySQL. Please check if there are any settings for this driver that can affect it.
Aware IM Support Team