XML question

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
pbrad

XML question

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

I have a new application where the customer wants to populate a form in AwareIM and then be able to export/download an xml file that is based on that information.

I have searched the forum and not been able to find any definitive answers of whether this is possible or not. I am wondering about the ability to use a text document as a template for this export?

I did notice a post where you stated that there are plenty of third party applications available for this task but I am hoping to keep all of the functionality within AwareIM. Is this something where you guys might be able to create a custom solution for me?

Cheers,
Pete
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

A Java plug-in can be written to provide this functionality. If you cannot do this yourself and want us to implement the plug-in please send an e-mail to [email protected]
Aware IM Support Team
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

This would be good functionality to have in AwareIM both as an export option and as a programmable statement. as it will facilitate connection to all sorts of systems. There are mashups and all manner of addons that have an XML interface.
EG.See http://www.fusioncharts.com/free/docs/
John
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

P,
This may help you. What I do in a particular application is that Aware creates a text document in XML formatting (Elements and such) Then exports to a desired DIR. Then I have s small little app the watches a DIR for any changes once it sees the text file it recreates the doc properties to XML

"Presto"

From there, at least in this application, a staff member can upload that XML to the production webserver, make any changes and approve information for active status (of course there is much more going on than that but I think you get my point)

Good luck
Chris
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The reason we do not provide XML export out-of-the-box is that we can only export it in Aware IM-specific XML format. This is fine, but in most practical cases XML file is then used in some third party system, which requires a particular XML format. In those cases, you do need to write a plug-in which would convert the Aware IM output into the format required by the third party system.

And by the way, Aware IM does provide XML export for very specific purposes (to communicate with the user interface via AJAX) - check the XML interface section in the Programmer's Reference Guide
Aware IM Support Team
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi Christopherb,

Thanks for the tip. By the way, I discovered that if you import your text document as an .xml document rather than a .txt document, it will output the populated document in that same format. This might save you an extra step with that small app that you mention.

Cheers,
Pete
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

P,
Nice I will have to give that a look

Chris