Database Corruption

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
ACDC

Database Corruption

Post by ACDC »

Hi

I recently added an attribute to my Customer object "FullName" which was updated by a rule that goes like this, Customer.FullName= Customer.Firstname + Customer.LastName+Customer.PhoneNumber

When I ran the test, I was unable to access Customer Object and found out through the log reports that the size of the attribute "FullName" was not large enough to take the input. This event has now corrupted the database and I can find no way to rectify it other than recreate the DB

The fact that the rule passes the integrity test and resulted in a Database corruption scares the wits out of me, because if by some chance this got through into a live application I would be in deep trouble

While on the subject, I have come to conclude that a number of the so called out of memory issues I have had in the past and also some reported in this forum are a result of errors that have escaped the integrity test and are laying dormant in the application, only to surface sometime in the future.

In my opinion, the errors have got nothing to do with running out of memory, but rather a change carried out that has not filtered through the application to all related fields and escaped the integrity test.
This creates a problem in the background, only to surface at the time the effected part of the application is run. (Also, increasing the allocated memory might let the problem reside undetected for longer)

So I don't know what the solution is here, other than being more disciplined in the approach and to increase the rate of backups, sequentially as changes occur. Hopefully someday the integrity test becomes more bulletproof.

Is there any ideas on how to undo a corruption in the database as a result of the above. I normally would not think of trying to edit the DB as this could lead to further MAJOR problems. But maybe support would know of a way to go into the DB and surgically remove the problem

Also, I would like to bombard my application with all sorts of entries. Are are there any ideas or a prescribed ways on a Stress Test solution application

Thank You
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The "size is not enough" problem could not have corrupted the database. This is not the integrity problem either, because there is no way for the system to know what value you will assign at run-time.

If indeed you had database corruption it could be for reasons that have nothing to do with Aware IM (these things do happen as many database users would testify). If you are sure that it was Aware IM that caused the database corruption (which is extremely unlikely in our opinion), then please be more specific and send us all the related data to investigate.
Aware IM Support Team
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Hi

Yeah, maybe I should not make statements that AwareIm corrupted the database until I have all the facts, but I am running MYSQL and there has been three occasions I have had this problem, and they all relate to something I had configured incorrectly, or a rule creeping into the incorrect object through a careless mistake

When I corrected the problem, I was unable to access the object again resulting in me having to regenerate the database.

Next time I will try and recreate the problem and ship the BSV as suggested,

As to the specific "Size Is Not enough", the rule took two text attributes and joined them together Attribute 1 size was 40 and Attribute 2 Size was 20. the result attribute size for the join was 20, when it should have been at least 60. This is where the problem started.

Thank You
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Here is another error that resulted in a corrupt record in the Database and I have no way of accessing the record now.

This error was after 3 records were edited and updated all at once via an InLine edit option

Could support comment on the "contains list" aspect of this error. Maybe this could point me in the right direction

ERROR:
ActionErrorException thrown with message Internal error. Problem in Account.Company for shortcut attribute AccountName Path Account.Company contains lists

com.bas.webapp.actions.e: Internal error. Problem in Account.Company for shortcut attribute AccountName Path Account.Company contains lists

Thank You
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

There should be no corruption here. Aware IM is fully transactional and any error should result in a transaction being rolled back.

As far as the error is concerned - for some reason your shortcut path contains lists. Shortcuts should only reference attributes where "multiple allowed" flag is not ticked. Please fix the shortcut path mentioned in the error description.
Aware IM Support Team