ERROR -Unable to connect to remote host ....

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tford

ERROR -Unable to connect to remote host ....

Post by tford »

Support,

I have multiple Business Spaces running on the production server. I am seeing the error message:

"ERROR -Unable to connect to remote host mail.myservernamehere.com Unable to log on. Only one connection to a mailbox permitted at a time."

Can you tell me what triggers this message. I am especially interested in the "one connection..." part.

Thanks,
Tom
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

Tom,
Are more than one of the busines spaces using email?

Chris
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

Tom
Are using MailEnable with Outlook / Exchange?

Chris
tford

Post by tford »

Yes, more than one business space.
tford

Post by tford »

Chris,

Why do you ask if I'm using MailEnable with Outlook / Exchange?

Tom
tford

Post by tford »

Support,

It appears that Aware somehow ties up an email address once it has been used in Incoming Email settings of System Settings. This seems to be true even after that email address has been cleared from the system settings.

Here are the steps I took to identify the issue:

1- set up new email address on server called [email protected]

2- logged into [email protected] via webmail to ensure it works OK

3a - Start AwareIM Server.

4 - Login to an AwareIM app & input System Settings Incoming Mail info for [email protected]

5- repeat step #2 -- can NOT login via webmail now. This is expected behavior since AwareIM seems to have the email address locked in some way.

6- clear the System Settings Incoming Mail setting that were input in #4. At this point I would expect to be able to repeat #2 & be able to login via webmail. Note that the AwareIM server should still be running.

7- Repeat #2. -- can NOT login via webmail even though settings for [email protected] have been cleared from System Settings.

8- Shut down the AwareIM server. Open AwareIM Server.

9- Repeat step #2 -- CAN now login again to [email protected] via webmail.

The main question I have right now is how would I temporarily turn off incoming email monitoring in an active AwareIM application on a server that runs 24/7?

As a side note, it would be VERY helpful if the log messages for connecting to incoming email could include 2 additional pieces of info:
a- BSV that it driving the incoming email process
b- email address that is attempting to be logged in to

When trying to problem solve incoming or outgoing email issues, the lack of these 2 pieces of info makes problem solving tougher when you are running multiple AwareIM applications at one time -- including test servers.

Thanks!
Tom
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

Tom,
MailEnable will create that same error when some settings are set to not allow mutiple connections. It was just a thought

Christopher
tford

Post by tford »

Thanks Christopher,

On my Plesk mail admin screen, "allow multiple sessions" is checked.

Tom
tford

Post by tford »

Support,

In my final test I did the following:

1- Set System Settings to receive from [email protected]

2- Observed that ReceivedEmail instances were being created for test emails I sent

3- Removed Incoming Email settings input in #1

4- Sent another test email to [email protected]

5- Observed that email sent in #4 was received by AwareIM in ReceivedEmail BO despite changes made in #3.

Tom
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

Tom if you are just wanting to observe traffic in the email account from another client from time to time to see whats in the box, I got around this problem by forwarding all mail to a separate account that I then checked.

Another issue is that AwareIM does not remove read email from the server. eventually the mailbox gets big enough to start causing slowdowns or quota limits.

I havent got around that one except manually shutting down the Awareim server and downloading / deleting all the email in a separate client.

John