query form default search values

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tkilshaw

query form default search values

Post by tkilshaw »

When I have a query that uses a form how can I set an attribute on that form to have default value?

thanks,

Terry
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Terry,

Could you, please, describe a situation where you would need to pre-populate a search form with default values? Specifically, whether the default values would be static (i.e. defined in the Configuration Tool) or dynamic (i.e. determined at run-time).
Aware IM Support Team
tkilshaw

Post by tkilshaw »

One example is for a Task object. The query form should appear with today's date in the TaskDate attribute.

Another for a Task is to preset the Active flag, to default to searching for active tasks while allowing the user to change that to search for inactive tasks, if they should so wish.

This is a generally useful behaviour.

As to the static versus dynamic issues, the answer is both.

When Aware supports dynamic choice lists this will be a necessity.

As shown above it could be a static value: active | inactive.

It could be a dynamic value generated by function/expression evaluation.

It could be a value from an attribute, if that was allowed.

Thanks,

Terry
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Terry,

At the moment Aware IM does not allow specifying default values for query parameter forms. However, it allows implementing a different workflow to enable the users to perform their business tasks. Specifically:

1) Define a query that uses default values (which can be static/dynamic/attribute values of objects in the context, etc.) to display a pre-filtered list to the users. For example, display only the active tasks. Define operations for the query results that the users are allowed to perform, either on individual or multiple items, in the query result list (View object, Generate document, Send email, Delete object, etc.)

2) The users start by running the query and see the pre-filtered results.

3) If desired, the users can further refine/extend/reduce the search using the standard functionality provided on the query result page. For example, see inactive tasks as well.

4) Once the users found what they wanted, they can click on one of the operations (for one or multiple objects if allowed) to perform the desired task.

Please let me know if this scenario would be acceptable.
Aware IM Support Team