checking for consecutive records

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tkilshaw

checking for consecutive records

Post by tkilshaw »

If object O has attribute A of type Number, assuming that a query sorts the found set ascending by that attribute, how can I check that all rcords have consecutive numbers.

Thus if there were three records numbered:

Would produce an error.

thanks,

Terry
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Terry,

I cannot see how this can be done using the standard functionality. You would need to write a process plug-in in Java. On that level you get a full access to the query result set. You can then iterate through the result set using an algorithm that determines if any consecutive numbers are missing and throws an error.
Aware IM Support Team
greg

Post by greg »

Terry,

I would run a process

If
SUM BO.AccessionNumber <> MIN BO.AccessionNumber +((COUNT BO – 1)*COUNT BO)/2
Then
DISPLAY_MESSAGE ‘xxxxx’
Else
DISPLAY_MESSAGE ‘yyyyy’

You do not need FIND, since SUM and MIN look for data in the database, not in the context. This process assumes that your numbers are consecutive but do not necessary start with 1. It calculates the sum of your numbers and compares it with the sum of arithmetic series with common difference equals 1.

Could aware_support please comment on the syntax of this rule.
tkilshaw

Post by tkilshaw »

Greg,

thanks for your suggestion. I tried your suggestion. Tried it again with different bracketing.

I tried adding one to the COUNT expressions too, thinking that COUNT only counts existing records and might not include the record being created.

Anyway it always takes the first branch even when all numbers are consecutive.

thanks,

Terry
greg

Post by greg »

Yes, I wasn't sure about using results of COUNT in an arithmetic equation and could not find anything in the help file about it. Let's wait for clarification from aware.
tkilshaw

Post by tkilshaw »

Greg

could you give the expression with brackets to show explicit precedence of operators.

For example is /2 meant to divide everything?

thanks,

Terry
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

SUM BO.AccessionNumber <> MIN BO.AccessionNumber +((COUNT BO – 1)*COUNT BO)/2
There is nothing wrong with using COUNT. However, I checked the formula and it does not seem to work for me. Consider a sequence 1,2,3. According to the formula the result is as follows:
1+2+3 <> 1+((3-1)*3)/2
6 <> 1+(2*3)/2
6 <> 1+3
6 <> 4

If you are trying to determine the sum of arithmetic progression (that assumes consecutive numbers), I would say the formula should be this:

(MIN BO.AccessionNumber * 2 + COUNT BO – 1) * COUNT BO / 2

Alternatively, you can use another version that is based on values of the first and last elements in the series and therefore does not make assumptions about consecutive numbers:

(MIN BO.AccessionNumber + MAX BO.AccessionNumber) * COUNT BO / 2
Aware IM Support Team
greg

Post by greg »

You are right, I missed one set of brackets, it should be

SUM BO.AccessionNumber <> (MIN BO.AccessionNumber +((COUNT BO – 1))*COUNT BO)/2

However the aware_support's version with half sum of the first and the last terms is more elegant.

greg