Auto fill in

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
geoff

Auto fill in

Post by geoff »

I'm sure this must have been answered sometime in the past, so bear with a complete novice:

I have A BO called ProductInfo which has 2 attributes: "Brand" and "Type"

Brand has its associated Type, arranged in 2 columns. Data is:

Brand Type
A A
B B
C C

etc

I want to use these attributes as inputs on another BO form called Main. Main has the attributes "Brands" and "Types" which are of Type ProductInfo.

So, how do I get the form to automatically fill in the other attribute for me? For example: If I drop down the Brand and choose, say, "A", I want the Type to automatically appear in the "Types" box as "A". and vice versa.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as my whole first project is based on this type of activity and hours of work have yielded nothing to my brain!
greg

Post by greg »

You can define Type attribute on your Main object as a shortcut and point it to ProductInfo.Type

greg
geoff

Auto Fillin

Post by geoff »

Thanks Greg - I tried that but once I select "Shortcut" type, the resulting dropdown only allows me to choose a path within the same BO (Main) and not into BO ProductInfo. I tried typing "ProductInfo.Type" as the path, but I got an error that the path is wrong.
greg

Post by greg »

Geoff,

Can you try to set up your Main.Brand as a drop down where you only select to display ProductInfo.Brand and Main.Type as a shortcut to ProductInfo.Type?

greg
Rem

Post by Rem »

I´m also stuck with this. I don´t know if it´s hard to explain the problem, because in think this should be easily done.

Hope someone has an answer. Have spent some days in the users manual but didn´t find anything.

I have customers and when I chose a specific customer I want the associated distance to that customer to appear automatically. (think it is the same qestion as geoff)

/Rem
PEFS

Post by PEFS »

Hey Rem,

I understand your frustration...we have all been there. It takes awhile to grasp the differences in this product to development environments you have worked in previously. I will be happy to assist you. If you want to post your.bsv on the yahoo group site I can pull it off and make the changes for you.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/AwareIM

Cheers

PEFS
Rem

Post by Rem »

I didn´t really know where you wanted me to put it so I placed it under Files, forms.

Now, it´s, in Swedish so I hope it makes some sense, but got to:
"Jobb, registrera nytt jobb" in the "Kund" field you can chose a customer.

My whish was that the BO called "Resa" would then be automatically assigned, but for the time being I have solved it with the field "Resmål" and then you have to manually create a "Resa" and save it. Not that slick ...

If you want me to translate some words pleas let me know
PEFS

Post by PEFS »

Swedish definitely offer quite a challenge.

Fortunately I have been using

http://www.foreignword.com/cgi-bin/engs ... &B1=Search

I believe the you are attempting to filter one list of items on another selection. If you select a customer (Kund) when you go to select the Trip (Resa) you only want the trips associated with that customer to be displayed in the list of items. Is that correct?
geoff

Solved!

Post by geoff »

OK - I have figured it out (with the inputs of all of you - Thanks, and reading the manual over and over). Here's how it worked for me (in detail so I can ensure it is clear in my tiny mind):

Quick recap:
I have 2 BO's: Main and ProductInfo. Main has lots of attributes, two of which are

1. "Brand" of type "ProductInfo"
2. "Type" of type "ProductInfo"

BO ProductInfo has attributes:

1. Brand of type "Plain Text"
2. Type of type "Plain Text"

What I want is to have an automatic fillin on BO "Main" so when I select a Brand (from the dropdown), the associated attribute (Type) automatically appears in my "Type" box on Main.

So, here's how I achieved it:

I created a new attribute in Main called Brand2.
I set the "Type" of Brand2 as "Shortcut".
I set the path as "Brand.Type". IMPORTANT - Note it is Brand, NOT Brand2!! see below
I set my label (presentation) as something I like (not important, I called it Product Type).

Now, as before, when I click on my old existing Main.Brand dropdown, I get a list of the ProductInfo.Brand data.
As soon as I select one, voila, up comes the ProductInfo.Type in my Main.Brand2 box. Note that this box cannot be edited by user (see Setting Properties of Shortcut Attributes in manual - P188 in mine).
The critical factor is that the path is what is what is required per page 188 of the manual: "it must start with the name of a single reference attribute defined in the BO (Brand) followed by the name of the attribute in the referred object (Type)".

Hope this helps you do it your way.
Rem

Post by Rem »

So, for me it seems like an unnecesarry step to make another shortcut in the first BO.

Shouldn´t you be able to refresh the form somehow or link directly to the other BO?

Which pages in the manual was it by the way?
geoff

Post by geoff »

Another shortcut? I think I only have 1.

I am too new to AwareIM to know if there is a refresh or other technique to do the same job.

See text - page 188 in my User Guide manual.

Anyways, it works (my objective!) and when I have more time and knowledge I may be able to fine tune it. In the meantime, I am always happy to hear if anyone improves on what I did.