Dynamic Aut recalculation problem

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Ewanm

Dynamic Aut recalculation problem

Post by Ewanm »

I have just upgraded to v3.0 build 1022 and where I had used the 'dynamic re-calculation on forms' function now seems not to work.

The rules do work if the BO is saved so I know the rules are OK.

I have tried the function when changing a reference field and when entering data manually and neither seem to work now.

Has anyone else found this?

Ewanm
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

I have reported this issue to Vladimir a couple of days ago and they are working on it. They hope to have a resolution by the end of the week.

Cheers,
Pete
Ewanm

Post by Ewanm »

Thanks for the info.

Ewanm
Ewanm

Post by Ewanm »

Does anyone know if this has been corrected yet?

Ewanm
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Yes, this should be fixed in the latest build 1023
Aware IM Support Team
Ewanm

Post by Ewanm »

I have tried it in 1023 but its still the same. Do I need to re-create all the rules or do I simply carry out the upgrade.

This is starting to cause me a problem as I require to carry out an upgrade on my live system to meet deadlines and I cannot release it with this problem.

Thanks,

Ewanm
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

It is fixed and tested. As a sidenote, if you ever need to READ PROTECT an attribute that is not a calculated attribute using dynamic recalculation of another attribute you will find that it won't work.

Try adding a third attribute such as a Yes/No checkbox, name it something like 'Admin Use Only', make it calculated and add it to your form. Then add a second rule that runs against the dynamically recalculated attribute that impacts on the calculated checkbox. (I just keep setting the value to 'No' each time so that the checkbox appears never to do anything) and you will find that your READ PROTECT rule now works against the first attribute.

You can reuse the checkbox if you need to READ PROTECT other attributes, just add more rules pointing to the checkbox. Hopefully , this is clear and of some use to others.
Ewanm

Post by Ewanm »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for me. If I create or edit a record then save it, the rule functions as expected but when I change a value which has a dynamic re-calculation selected, the rule doesn't to execute. I also tried out your other suggestion to see if it works. It doesn't appear to function either although again, it seems OK when I save the record but it doesn't dynamically update.

Ewanm
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

Probably a good starting point is to confirm whether the problem is your software or your bsv configuration. I have created a simple test bsv which you can download at: http://www.iportcentral.com/DynamicTest.zip

Try it out and let me know whether it works for you. Just create a new test item and then view that test item using the two menu items. When you select either or the two dropdowns, the text field should be hidden dynamically.

Cheers,
Pete
Ewanm

Post by Ewanm »

Hi Pete,

Again, thanks for the reply. The example you sent works fine so I guess its my BSV.

I tried removing all the rules and re-entering them one at a time and they seem to work provided there is only one action specified per rule. One rule I require is as follows:

If STAFF_Expenses.CategorySelection WAS CHANGED TO 'Cash Purchase (No VAT)' Then
STAFF_Expenses.Category='Cash Purchase (No VAT)'
STAFF_Expenses.VATCharge=0
PROTECT STAFF_Expenses.VATCharge FROM ALL EXCEPT System

This rule doesn't work. If I change the rule to have one action as follows:

If STAFF_Expenses.CategorySelection WAS CHANGED TO 'Cash Purchase (No VAT)' Then
PROTECT STAFF_Expenses.VATCharge FROM ALL EXCEPT System

This rule does work.

Am I missing something here, I'm still relatively novice at this.

Thanks again,

Ewan
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi Again,

I played around with my test bsv and it would appear that any actions that affect either PROTECT or READ PROTECT need to be in their own rules. You can combine other actions such as setting the value of a non-calculated text field or date field in the same rule but the other two actions need to be in their own rules. You can also combine the text field or date field actions with the triggering action that runs against the calculated checkbox so it would seem to be that only the Protection actions need to be run in their own rules.

I don't know why, but it seems to be the case.
Cheers,
Pete
Ewanm

Post by Ewanm »

Thanks for the reply Pete.

I have spent the last few days trying to get my head round how the rules work. I have modified my BO to suit the rules but still don't fully understand them.

It would appear that if numerous rules are associated with a BO, depending on how many, sometimes they don't always work as expected, especially if there are auto recalculation rules amongst them. I'm sure this is not the case and I am doing something wrong.

Is there any documentation that explains Rules in detail or are there any training courses available that you know of.

Ewanm
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

I think that the product is still pretty young to be able to find much in the way of organized training yet. The documentation that comes with the product is fairly good but you may have to search through the various docs such as 'HowTo.pdf' and 'InstallationGuide.pdf'.

My best advise however though is to view the console log in detailed mode and see exactly what is going on as the rules execute.

Cheers,
Pete
tford

Post by tford »

geoff

Post by geoff »

I am having the same problem except that my system crashes every time I try to create an instance.
After a lot of experimenting I conclude that it simply won't cope with the quantity of rules (60) I have during CREATE OBJECT.

Like yourself, I removed some rules and the problem disappeared. I now have permanently removed rules which are not absolutely necessary to dynamically update fields during CREATE and the problem stayed away.

However, still needing those rules to "Calculate" my record fields, I put those rules into form operations ("(Re)calculate Record") which I then use when I recall the instance (in edit/view).

Works just fine (recalculates in a micro-sec) - no more crashes, no more slow running during CREATE.
Doesn't solve the dynamic update problem, maybe it's my bsv or rules, but I can't find any other way to make it work consistently.

I still note however that shortcuts take 5-10 secs to appear! Could this be the same issue?