How to refer to current Object genericaly in rules

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Elmar

How to refer to current Object genericaly in rules

Post by Elmar »

I am curious on how to reference the current object with a keyword rather than a business object group or business object. Something like ThisObject or CurrentObject or wathever.

Is there a way to do this? Would make it easier in some situations to apply rules more generically.

Thanks.
Elmar
tford

Post by tford »

Elmar,

Are you referring to the instance prefix info on Page 66 of the User Guide?

Tom
tford

Post by tford »

Elmar,

After re-reading your post, you obviously understand the stuff re: prefixes & were asking a different question. I have not seen any info about using general object references like you requested.

Tom
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I am not sure I understand the question, though. Can you give an example?
Aware IM Support Team
Elmar

Post by Elmar »

Sorry, I try to clarify this.

BO´s have specific attributes and all that but there are a lot of things that applied to all BO´s.

So what I am looking for is a generic Keyword that simply points to the CURRENT OBJECT in which a rule is executed in.

Instead of writing <BusinessObjectName> or <Prefix><BusinessObjectName> I would like to refer to the current Object in a generic way so that I can use that rule everywhere I want without having to change the BO or BO Group name.

Sample:
IF <someCondition> Then
PROTECT CURRENT_OBJECT FROM ALL EXCEPT Administrator AND System
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

No, there is no way to do this. But I really fail to see why you can't use the name of the specific object here rather than saying "CURRENT_OBJECT" - it will probably be longer to type anyway.
Aware IM Support Team
Elmar

Post by Elmar »

???
If you use generic keywords you can build generic rules that can be used everywhere. Very common concept in most programming languages.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

No, in Aware IM you can't have generic rules that run anywhere - rules are always attached to a particular object.
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

I stumbled across a neat feature this morning: I was copying a rule from 1 object to the other & received the message: "Rename object from abc to xyz?" where abc was the object that I was copying from & xyz the object I was copying to.

This sure helps in making rule copying very slick!

Tom