Changing Port 8080 to 80 problem.

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Angarato

Post by Angarato »

Pete,

Thank you again. The Utility gave me three open ports, but they didn't work by some reason.
I didn't get any errors, but IE was trying to connect to the Application forever.
I checked what happens if I stop IIS completely and use port 80 for AwareIM. Everything worked
fine! So this test is complete and it shows that there is no any other reasons for the problem
except blocked or busy ports.
Actually I am almost ready to sacrifice IIS, but then how do I show my index.html page with all
the information, banners, some other pictures, etc. to the user? Imagine, that AwareIM application
is just the part of my Web Site and I want AwareIM Application to be run only if User clicks on some
particular link on my index.html page. If there is any clear way of how to accomplish this I would be
very glad to see it... So far I cannot logically solve the problem other than having IIS and Tomcat
running simultaneously.

Still alive and keep trying...

Angarato.
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

You can get Tomcat to serve your static pages. For example, file library_startup.jsp, the home page of the Library sample application, is located in AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\AwareIM and is accessible on the local computer via URL http://localhost:8080/AwareIM/library_startup.jsp
Aware IM Support Team
Angarato

Post by Angarato »

Thank you very much AwareIM support!

This is almost exactly what I was looking for. It would be great if you could
let me know how to instruct Tomcat to redirect user to my static .jsp or .html
file once user hits the www. page.
Sorry for basic question, but I don't have any Tomcat experience as of yet...

Thank you again,
Angarato.
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Check with the company where your domain name is registered on how to redirect www.your-domain-name.com to a different URL.
Aware IM Support Team
Dark_V

Tomcat problems

Post by Dark_V »

Angarato, did you finaly decide stops IIS?

Have you a Virtual Dedicated Server on GoDaddy?

If you stops IIS, Plesk can't work!

Someone fix this problem on this GoDaddy plataform?

Aware im support team never give clear and complete answers... they only reffer to those incomplete documentation. Hey... that is not help!

We choose godaddy for their suggestion and now find this issue without a clear help... it's simply anoying!
aware_admin
Site Admin

Post by aware_admin »

Aware IM uses its own web server Tomcat. Tomcat listens to web requests on a particular port. It is really easy to configure Tomcat to listen on any port you like.

Tomcat can happily co-exist with another web server on the same machine (for example, IIS) provided that both web servers listen on different ports. If you have IIS already running and listening on port 80 you only have two alternatives:

1) Stop IIS or
2) Get either IIS or Tomcat to listen on a different port.

If you MUST have IIS running and it MUST listen on port 80 and your host provider refuses to open any other port, there is really nothing we can do whether we provide complete answers or not!

We cannot provide any more complete answer to this. You need to talk to your host about this problem!
greg

Post by greg »

Recently I set up an AwareIM installation on a GoDaddy Win2003 server. I told Tomcat to use 8088 port and restarted the Win server. AwareIM has been working fine after that.
twhitehurst

Post by twhitehurst »

I have a GoDaddy Dedicated server and we had a huge issue with all this because GoDaddy was NO HELP!

But, try this. Go to your UIconfig.props file and add

HostServerPort=9000

We tried several things with 8080 and 8088 and they just did not work. We have been running good on 9000