Extending the tree menu

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
pbrad

Extending the tree menu

Post by pbrad »

Hi,
I have an application where I am using tree menus to segment the main menu into functional groups. What I would really like to do is to assign an html 'home page' to each functional group (i.e. Expense Reports, Inventory, etc...).

By this, I mean that when the user clicks on the + sign to open up a folder item, in addition to expanding the group to view the menu sub-items, it also opens up a url in the main frame. Is this something that I can hard code in the back end(tree.js?), or is it a simple mod that you might be able to make to allow for the entry of a url in the config tool when defining a folder?
Thanks,
Pete
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

This is not a simple mod for us, but you can certainly do it at the JavaScript level if you are comfortable with this.
Aware IM Support Team
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,
Thanks for the response. Can you tell me if the js file will be overwritten when new versions are published? If this mod could be added to your eventual wishlist I think that it would be a useful one for any application that is larger in scope.

In the meantime, I think that I will go with a third party tree menu and use an html left pane as opposed to the built in menu. It will be a pain to maintain as I already have about 10 usertypes but I have an idea in mind. I use Sothink Tree Menu which can be driven from a database so I will create a menu category business object and a menu items business object with the usertype being one of the attributes and the url being another one. That way, I can more or less duplicate the functionality of the Configuration Mode menu editor through the Operation Mode. The only thing that I will need to do is to figure out the urls manually in order to enter them into the url field. This opens up the possibility of graphical flyout menus as well. I will forward an example on to Hubertus when I am done for inclusion on his site if he desires.
cheers,
Pete
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Hi Pete,

I don't think the js file will be overwritten. We will consider adding more flexibility in this area.

You always come up with some good ideas!
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

Pete,

I eagerly await your example to Hubertus! SoThink's menu system in the left pain looks like it could be a home run when added to AwareIM. :!:

Thanks!
Tom