PICK FROM Question

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
autonomy2

PICK FROM Question

Post by autonomy2 »

I'm not sure if I shot myself in the foot on this one, but would appreciate any feedback on the PICK FROM action.

In order to define (known or unknown) objects (e.g. colour, shape, types etc...) I have created 2 BO's. The first business object, X defines an object such as 'COLOURS'. The second business object, Y defines the various colours 'black, red, yellow etc... and has a relationship with X.

All other business objects can point to Y for various attribute values such as 'Colours, Shapes, Titles, Types' etc... using a filter. e.g. FIND Y Where Y.X.Name='COLOURS'.

My problem now is creating the third form, which could contain two or more attributes derived from business object Y. For example, this third business object could contain attributes, Colour, Shape, Type which all point to business object Y.

Basically, you can't have:

First Rule: PICK FROM Y Where Y.X='COLOURS' NO CONFIRMATION...
Second Rule:PICK FROM Y Where Y.X='SHAPES' NO CONFIRMATION...
Third Rule: PICK FROM Y Where Y.X='TYPE' NO CONFIRMATION...
Fourth Rule:

ENTER NEW ThirdForm WITH
ThirdForm.Colour=Y,
ThirdForm.Shape=Y,
ThirdForm.Type=Y USING Main

Any work arounds on this?

Thanks
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

The easiest way to implement this would be let the user select objects for required reference attributes on the new object form. You can use the Table of Items presentation for each required reference attribute and add a description line for each attribute instructing the user to use the Add Item button to make the selection.

If you need to constrain values available for selection for a reference attribute, you can specify a custom query by clicking Settings for Generate Add Item Button in the presentation options for reference attribute and ticking the Filter Selection List box.

With this implementation there is no need for additional steps in the process, and therefore there is no problem with mixing multiple instances of the same object type in one process.
Aware IM Support Team