2 BSVs connect with 1 Derby database?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tford

2 BSVs connect with 1 Derby database?

Post by tford »

Do you have any plans to have ability for 2 different BSVs to interact with one Derby database? I't possible today to connect 2 different BSVs to a MySql or other DB, but doesn't seem possible with Derby DB.

Some of the data we are dealing with is very confidential & I don't want to take any chances that the security/access settings are not 100% accurate. One way I've ensured that within Access database that I'm migrating from is to have 2 different front ends -- 1 for 'normal' inquiry & 1 for confidential data.

If you don't have plans to do this, it's no big deal. I'd just like to know as I plan out my migration.

Thanks,
Tom
tford

Post by tford »

AwareIM: quick reminder that this question is still open.

Thanks!
Tom
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Derby database allows access to ONLY ONE APPLICATION and there is nothing we can do about it. This means that if you have a connection to Derby from Aware IM you cannot have any other third party application access the Derby database directly.

However, in most cases there is no need to have a connection to Derby from any third party application - everything can be handled by Aware IM. Aware IM server can host two or more BSV's and you can communicate between these BSV's via services. Or you can communicate with Derby via Aware IM from any remote system (which can be either another Aware IM system or any third party application). Again this communication can use services.

Your security requirements can be handled within the same BSV - you can have a different front end for confidential data and protect this front end by access levels and PROTECT actions within THE SAME BSV.
Aware IM Support Team