View Attachment File Name?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
bkonia

View Attachment File Name?

Post by bkonia »

When you upload a document, Aware IM stores the file name of the document internally. Is there any way to access the file name, so the user can view it within an application?

If you send someone an email containing several attachments and you later need to refer them to a particular attachment, it makes it difficult if you can't determine what the original file name was.
Brad S Konia
Hostland
https://www.hostland.com
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The name of the document currently can only be viewed in the file download dialog before the file is being downloaded for further viewing.
Aware IM Support Team
bkonia

Post by bkonia »

That's what I figured. I'd like to request this for a future enhancement.
Brad S Konia
Hostland
Steve

Post by Steve »

Can you start charging this guy for premium support???

I have been viewing as a guest and reviewing the software (which is very cool).

Brad has posted 62 times in 2 months.

Give the Aware guys a break dude. It appears you have pointed out some good things that need attention with the product, the majority of your stuff is just worthless to the rest of the community (it's not the Brad S. Konia web forum). Brad, you must be able to tell that this forum is not like other 'user' forums where there is a lot of participation from others...Aware answers the majority of the request, comments and questions.

While you might think that your constant barrage of posts will help Aware make the 'perfect' product...you need to pick your battles. I would be willing to bet that Aware is listening less and less to your babble.

I am surprised that Aware has not started to charge you for support. I have never seen anything like this on any forum. Aware appears to be VERY generous with their attention and responses to the forum. I would be willing to bet that they will stop be so generous if they have to continue dealing with guys like Brad who ask WAY to many questions.

By the way Brad, if you want full flexibility, learn how to program using Java or .NET and you can have things exactly the way you want them.

Give the Aware guys a break!
bkonia

Post by bkonia »

Thanks for your input, Steve. I've actually authored 33 threads, though it's quite possible that my total number of posts have been as many as you stated.

The vast majority of my posts have been suggestions for ways to improve Aware IM. I've also contributed to the community by posting information that may be helpful to other users, such as information on a database administration tool for Derby. Frankly, I wish more of my own customers would give me this type of feedback, as it helps the company to better understand the needs of its customers. And yes, I've posted a number of support inquiries as well. Again, this benefits the community because it provides a resource for other users to search for answers, prior to having to open a support ticket with the Aware IM staff. Also, Steve, you mentioned that they should charge me for Premium Support. Since I purchased a professional license for $999, that does entitle me to support for one year. Which license do you own, Steve?

As I've stated privately to the developers, I feel that this is a revolutionary product and I'm thrilled to be using it, as well as now offering Aware IM hosting solutions to my customers. Since my company does offer Aware IM hosting, I feel that it's critical that I not only fully understand this product myself, but also point out to the developers any bugs and/or suggested areas of improvement.

Finally, Steve, I would like to state that the purpose of this forum, or any forum is to discuss the product, ask questions and make suggestions to the developers, not to publicly air personal grievances that you may have with other forum members. If the Aware IM developers feel that I'm making too many posts or taking up too much of their time, they are free to contact me privately and inform me of such. However, so far as I know, no one has appointed you the forum arbiter. In other words, Steve, I'd like to politely request that you please mind your own business.
Brad S Konia
Hostland
Steve

Post by Steve »

Also, Steve, you mentioned that they should charge me for Premium Support. Since I purchased a professional license for $999, that does entitle me to support for one year. Which license do you own, Steve?
Hello Brad,

I personally do not own any Aware IM Licenses. I am currently evaluating the product and trying to determine if it will be a good fit for my work. My concern with forum users like you is that if owners of Aware IM are to receive our support from the Aware forum then how are they expected to get a response to their problems or questions when the Savior of Aware Brad S. Konia has 5-7 open queries at any given time. It might be different if you only put a small question or suggest out but be honest you type huge forum posts that require a lot of the Aware team to produce an answer. The end result is that all Aware users will suffer reduced service because you are on a personal (and monitary) quest to improve the Aware product. I wonder how Aware ever got to this point in their development as a company without 'bkonia'.

I too would be 'thrilled' to purchase this product but quite frankly if I have to compete with support hogs like yourself I am not so sure that I will be comfortable with the level of support that I will receive going forward. As it is, Aware has already reduced their response time and level of response in the last 2 months. Maybe it has to do with their new release but my guess is that it is due to huge increase in overall posts.

I will mind my own business going forward but please be cognizant that your small requests would be better 'managed' by making a list of your discoveries and posting them once a week. That way, all users of the forum might feel that they are not getting trampled on by all of your posts. Personally, a lot of your entries should be sent 'personally' to the Aware development team as they do not help anyone on the forum.

As for your use of the forum...I'm sure that everyone can't wait until your attachment delema is extricated.

I'm done.
Elmar

Post by Elmar »

Well, I personally think that people that are clever enough to invent something so complex and integrated like AwareIM are able to handle their own forum and all of the issues that come with it. Issues like active users and detailed descriptions for example :).

I don´t blame you because I think you have the best intentions! Maybe it would even be more constructive to ignore bkonia´s threads if you are not interested. As for the AwareGuys - I think they *might* even appreciate people that give qualified and detailed feedback and help to improve the software´s end user experience 'for free'.

Personally I can say that some of bkonias threads helped me to evaluate the software faster and gain more insight in a rather short time frame. Other companies solve situations like this by having premium support forums that normal or evaluating users don´t have access to. I prefer to be able to read posts from experienced users. But these are just my 2 cents :roll:.

Regards,
Elmar
tford

Post by tford »

I agree with Elmar. AwareIM is very complex & gives tremendous leverage with it's simplicity. Reading post of others tackling complex applications has helped me also.

AwareIM support is their strength. Their willingness to interact publicly with active users has led me to want to purchase their product (1 more week of trial left). It demonstrates to me that AwareIM has no intention of being a static product. That is music to my ears. :D

Tom
bkonia

Post by bkonia »

The attachment issue has in fact been resolved, thanks to the outstanding support provided by the Aware IM team. However, Steve, I strongly disagree with your assertion that my issues and questions are of no relevance or use to anyone else on the forum. The whole process that I went through in learning how to accomplish this taught me a lot about how Aware IM works in terms of Context, etc... While the documentation does provide information on this subject, it's not the same thing as having a real-world example to work with. In fact, I had many additional questions that I never posted because I was able to search the forums and find the answers from previous postings. I would hope that my postings might also serve as a reference for other users who come up against similar issues.
Brad S Konia
Hostland
aware_admin
Site Admin

Post by aware_admin »

Thank you to all involved in this discussion. We are grateful to you for posting your messages in a considerate and constructive way.

We always appreciate any suggestions on how our software can be improved. Many posts on the forum (including Brad's) are suggestions for improvemets as well as tips and tricks on various issues not covered in the documentation or not covered well enough. These are very helpful to other members and to us too. Sometimes, though, people post messages without reading the documentation at all or without searching the forum or posting their specific configuration tasks expecting Awaresoft to solve them (Brad, by the way, is not guilty of those). These, of course, increase the traffic on this forum unnecessarily and increase the burden on the Aware IM Support Team.

We have limited resources for maintaining this forum and we do try our best to share them fairly among the member posts. We are unable to provide extensive training and development assistance on this forum. Our experience shows that as with many software products there is an initial learning curve with Aware IM but usually people feel quite conformable after a while as there isn't that much to learn about Aware IM. We do offer paid support and development services. Many customers, including participants of this forum, use our professional services and find them very time and cost efficient.
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

For my two cents worth, I log into the forum every morning to continue my learning curve and I would be dissapointed if there weren't several posts to study. Some of them are not relevant to projects that I am working on at the time and I often skim through these especially if they are more detailed but I am glad that there are detailed posts because who knows what I will need to learn later on for future projects.

With respect to the Aware Support staff, I think that we will all agree that they are a world class responsive team and are probably more than capable of moderating this forum. I know from personal experience that to dump on another user usually comes back and bites you in the ass so Steve, you might want to take what we are all saying to heart.
Cheers,
Pete