A FEW Good Evaluation Questions

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
jclark58

A FEW Good Evaluation Questions

Post by jclark58 »

Hi I have just discovered AwareIM uin the last couple of days. I have a project that I have been labouriously trying to implement some of the features that are contained in AwareIM and am considering cutting my losses and swapping over. Here are some questions:

1. Can I pick up web site form submissions directly into the database? (each form corresponds to a business object).

2. I have arequirement to syncronise contact details with MS Outlook. I is there a way I can do this directly between AwareIM and Outlook?

3. Can I achive contact syncronisation by using an LDAP server?

4. My spec requires the implentation of workflows that are decribed in flowchart format. What would the best way be to model these workflows? Will business processes allow me to do that?

How do I do it so that it is obvious to the client that this has been implemented? (graphical workflow editor would be best ;-)

5. How would the licencing model affect the clients ability to resell their application?

6. My client is a registered not for profit organisation with one employee. What are the licencing requirements for him and me?

7. Is there a clear set of criteria for detemining when to use business objects, rules and processes?

8. Is there phone support / training available in Australia?

Many thanks in advance
John
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

John,

please see answers to your questions below:
1. Can I pick up web site form submissions directly into the database? (each form corresponds to a business object).

Aware IM is a web based system and it creates web forms that put data from the web browser directly into the database.

2. I have arequirement to syncronise contact details with MS Outlook. I is there a way I can do this directly between AwareIM and Outlook?

Yes. There are two ways you can do this:
1) Define a service in Aware IM that will export and import the contact data. Then define a macro in the Outlook to call the Aware IM service (Aware IM automatically converts its services into web services).
2) Define a macro in the Outlook that will export/import contact details into the CSV file. Then define a process in Aware IM that will export/import the CSV file.

Not automatically. You will have to export the data from LDAP into the CSV file and then import into Aware IM.

4. My spec requires the implentation of workflows that are decribed in flowchart format. What would the best way be to model these workflows? Will business processes allow me to do that? How do I do it so that it is obvious to the client that this has been implemented? (graphical workflow editor would be best )

Business processes will help you achieve that. However, Aware IM is not a workflow system and it does not support flowcharts at the moment nor does it have a graphical workflow editor.

5. How would the licencing model affect the clients ability to resell their application?

What do you mean by "resell"? Do you mean that your clients will be developing their own applications? If so, they will have to buy Aware IM.

6. My client is a registered not for profit organisation with one employee. What are the licencing requirements for him and me?

If you will be distributing your Aware IM application to this client you will have to buy the Aware IM Developer Edition and one run time license for your client. If you will be hosting your application for your client then you can buy the Aware IM Professional Edition only.

7. Is there a clear set of criteria for detemining when to use business objects, rules and processes?

Yes, please have a look at the "Configuration Guidelines" section in the Aware IM User Guide.

These services may be arranged upon a special request. Please send an e-mail to [email protected] for more details.

Best Regards
Aware IM Support Team
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

[quote="aware_support"]John,

[color=blue]1. Can I pick up web site form submissions directly into the database? (each form corresponds to a business object).[/color]

Aware IM is a web based system and it creates web forms that put data from the web browser directly into the database.

[color=red]Thanks - I understand this - what I meant was can AwareIM accept submissions for external web forms that it hasnt created? Can I call it from a GET or POST operation in a standard html form?

Alternativeley can I extract an AwareIM generated form and use it on an external web site somehow?[/color]

[color=blue]2. I have arequirement to syncronise contact details with MS Outlook. I is there a way I can do this directly between AwareIM and Outlook? [/color]

1) Define a service in Aware IM that will export and import the contact data. Then define a macro in the Outlook to call the Aware IM service (Aware IM automatically converts its services into web services).
2) Define a macro in the Outlook that will export/import contact details into the CSV file. Then define a process in Aware IM that will export/import the CSV file.
[color=red]
Has this already been done? Is there an example I can use?[/color]

[color=blue]3. Can I achive contact syncronisation by using an LDAP server? [/color]

Not automatically. You will have to export the data from LDAP into the CSV file and then import into Aware IM.

[color=blue]4. My spec requires the implentation of workflows that are decribed in flowchart format. What would the best way be to model these workflows? Will business processes allow me to do that? How do I do it so that it is obvious to the client that this has been implemented? (graphical workflow editor would be best ) [/color]

Business processes will help you achieve that. However, Aware IM is not a workflow system and it does not support flowcharts at the moment nor does it have a graphical workflow editor.

[color=red]Is this planned and if so can you tell me a timeframe?[/color]

[color=blue]5. How would the licencing model affect the clients ability to resell their application? [/color]

What do you mean by "resell"? Do you mean that your clients will be developing their own applications? If so, they will have to buy Aware IM.

[color=red]I have a preexisting agreement with the client that if either of us find another buyer for the application that I am developing that we can onsell it. Any modifications would need to be done by me as the client doesnt have the skill. How does your licencing model affect this?[/color]

[color=blue]6. My client is a registered not for profit organisation with one employee. What are the licencing requirements for him and me? [/color]

If you will be distributing your Aware IM application to this client you will have to buy the Aware IM Developer Edition and one run time license for your client. If you will be hosting your application for your client then you can buy the Aware IM Professional Edition only.

[color=blue]7. Is there a clear set of criteria for detemining when to use business objects, rules and processes? [/color]

Yes, please have a look at the "Configuration Guidelines" section in the Aware IM User Guide.

[color=blue]8. Is there phone support / training available in Australia? [/color]

These services may be arranged upon a special request. Please send an e-mail to [email protected] for more details.

Best Regards[/quote]
jclark58

Post by jclark58 »

jclark58 wrote:
aware_support wrote:John,

Thanks - I understand this - what I meant was can AwareIM accept submissions for external web forms that it hasnt created? Can I call it from a GET or POST operation in a standard html form?

Alternativeley can I extract an AwareIM generated form and use it on an external web site somehow?

Has this already been done? Is there an example I can use?

4. My spec requires the implentation of workflows that are decribed in flowchart format. What would the best way be to model these workflows? Will business processes allow me to do that? How do I do it so that it is obvious to the client that this has been implemented? (graphical workflow editor would be best )

Is this planned and if so can you tell me a timeframe?

I have a preexisting agreement with the client that if either of us find another buyer for the application that I am developing that we can onsell it. Any modifications would need to be done by me as the client doesnt have the skill. How does your licencing model affect this?

Best Regards
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

1. what I meant was can AwareIM accept submissions for external web forms that it hasnt created? Can I call it from a GET or POST operation in a standard html form?

In principle, yes. However, Aware IM always maintains a session with the user for security reasons, and directly submitting data to Aware IM from external web sites bypassing security will not work. So you will need to open an Aware IM session first (either programmatically or through the login on the external site) and then you will be able to feed the data to Aware IM through URL's where the data will be specified in URL as usual.

Alternativeley can I extract an AwareIM generated form and use it on an external web site somehow?

Well, Aware IM outputs HTML, so if you can establish Aware IM session and send the data through URL's as described above you will be able to get its HTML output.

Has this already been done? Is there an example I can use?

This has probably been done but we do not have any example at hand. If you purchase Aware IM we'll be able to help you with this.

Is this planned and if so can you tell me a timeframe?

This is planned for some time in the future but not in the next release that should be out around mid-year.

I have a preexisting agreement with the client that if either of us find another buyer for the application that I am developing that we can onsell it. Any modifications would need to be done by me as the client doesnt have the skill. How does your licencing model affect this?

If either you or your reseller finds a buyer for your application, either you or him will have to purchase a run-time license for this buyer from us. We don't really care who will be purchasing the run-time license - if it is your re-seller, he has to quote the id of your Development Edition in order to buy the run-time license from us.
Aware IM Support Team