Editing Attribute Presentation

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
bkonia

Editing Attribute Presentation

Post by bkonia »

When I edit the presentation for an attribute at the global level, it changes the default presentation for that attribute, but the presentation in existing forms is not updated.

I can understand the reason for this, but I feel that AwareIM should at least give the user the option to update existing forms. Otherwise, it can be quite tedious to go through each form individually and update the presentations. Likewise, if a user edits the presentation at the form level, he should be given the option to also update other forms containing the same attribute, as well as updating the global template.

This behavior could be considered analogous to a user updating a BO within a BOG. In that instance, the user is given the option to apply the changes to other BO's within the BOG.
Brad S Konia
Hostland
https://www.hostland.com
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Typically there is no need to set attribute presentation on a form. In this case if you change presentation options on the attribute level, the new options will be automatically used on all forms that do not override presentation options for the attribute.

If you set attribute presentation on a form and want to revert back to using the attribute-level presentation options, you can do it by deleting the attribute from the form section, clicking OK and then adding the attribute back to the form section.
Aware IM Support Team
bkonia

Post by bkonia »

It's true that if you delete the attribute from the form and then add it back, it will revert to the attribute-level presentation options.

However, if you then edit the attribute-level presentation options, the changes will not be reflected at the form level, unless you actually save the form after deleting the attribute from the form. In other words, it's not enough to simply click on OK and then add the attribute back. You have to delete the attribute, then save the form and then add the attribute back. Otherwise, it will still be considered to have a custom presentation.

I wouldn't mind this so much if AwareIM gave a clear indication (or ANY indication for that matter!) of whether or not you're using a custom presentation for a given attribute on a form. Presently, there is no way to tell whether or not an attribute has a custom presentation.

I would suggest that if an attribute has a custom (form-level) presentation, that the attribute name appear in a different color in the Form Layout Editor. Also, in the screen where you define the presentation options, there should be a "Revert" button that would revert the presentation to the global settings. That button should only be enabled if in fact the attribute is using a custom presentation.
Brad S Konia
Hostland
https://www.hostland.com
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Thanks for the suggestion, we will consider it.
Aware IM Support Team
Hubertus

Post by Hubertus »

I would suggest that if an attribute has a custom (form-level) presentation, that the attribute name appear in a different color in the Form Layout Editor. Also, in the screen where you define the presentation options, there should be a "Revert" button that would revert the presentation to the global settings. That button should only be enabled if in fact the attribute is using a custom presentation.
That would be a great improvement 8) !!!!