How can I use Access DB to create editable business objects?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tford

How can I use Access DB to create editable business objects?

Post by tford »

I'm trialing AwareIM right now. I have a ton of existing MS Access data that will continue to be updated MS Access programs for now. My intent is to then develop newer parts of our system using AwareIM & eventually make all prior MS Access functionality part of our AwareIM system.

I would like to use the table structures that I've created in Access in my AwareIM system without having to create them all from scratch.

I have tried:
1- export Access table to MySql
2- Create a new BO persisted from MySql database
3- Change persist on that BO to "Aware IM Internal"

Result is being able to capture all the table layouts & use them in Derby. The only problem with this approach is that I can't edit the attributes of that Derby BO like I would be able to with one create 100% in AwareIM.

Is there any way that I can use my Access tables to create editable BO's in AwareIM?

Thanks in advance!
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

The only properties of attributes that cannot be edited after changing the persistence type are Name and Type. Since the whole purpose of the exercise is to match names and types of existing columns, this should not be a problem.

All other attribute properties, like labels and other presentation options, should be editable. You can also add new attributes to the object manually, which is really quick and easy.
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

I understand the reason for your "lock-down" but I guess it is somewhat limiting in 2 ways:

1- I would like to set up some reference attributes like peer-to-peer, etc. that AwareIM did not set up when finding the attributes from existing MySql database.

2- I would like to follow the suggestions in the Aware IM User Guide to move toward a Derby database & use the import process if at all possible. While the "lock-down" would be perfect if there is a 100% one-to-one relationship, it limits the ability to make any name changes, etc.

Thanks,
Tom
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

With the Aware IM Internal persistence type you should be able to add any attributes to the object, including reference attributes.
Aware IM Support Team