Can you install a new instance of AIM from an update EXE?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
kklosson

Can you install a new instance of AIM from an update EXE?

Post by kklosson »

I have a couple of V8 AIM instances that I would like to re-platform and I don't want to move to V9 just yet. I do have the V8 update file. Can I use them to install a new instance the same as a trial version or is there anything unique about the trial version? Bottom line, do we always have to install new instances from the trial version?
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
rocketman

Re: Can you install a new instance of AIM from an update EXE?

Post by rocketman »

An update can only be used to update your existing installation otherwise the key will be wrong and AIM won’t start.

If you are re-platforming your production server, I would do a new install on the new server - which will give you a 30 day eval, get everything working on the new server, then contact Vlad for a new key. Keep in mind that as soon as the new key is generated for you, the old server will stop working.

I must say it’s really about time that AIM had a method of being able to register and de-register servers online (a la Office 365 and a host of other apps) having to call Vlad is a bit archaic to say the least.
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Exactly. My issue is that the trial will be V9 and I'm not ready for that. Do you know if Support can provide a v8 trial?
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

If you install your v8 update exe on new server - you should get 30 day evaluation. Then you can add in your production BO’s, publish and generate the tables.

Take a backup off the old server(s)- I use MySQL workbench and use the option to export to dump project folder. You will also need to export the BASDB_bad_idgen table in order to maintain the ID number generation (avoids duplicate keys)

DO NOT under any circumstances overwrite bas_system or bas_system2 on the new server because you will overwrite the 30 day key with the key off the old server - at which point you would be screwed and have to start over.

You can test everything then get the new key off Vladimir.
Rocketman

kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Thanks, but be advised the database is on a different server. So, some of that is moot.
V8.8
MySQL, AWS EC2, S3
PDFtk Toolkit
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Oh ok, so it might mean you won’t need to install your bsv’s. The new instance should pick these up from domainversions and domainhistories in the basdb tables
Rocketman