Applying AwareIM UPDATES

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
bwalk

Applying AwareIM UPDATES

Post by bwalk »

Good morning gents,
I am told there is a forum post about all the little details needed to be considered before doing an AwareIM version update.
I have searched but cannot find it.
I'm sure some of you experienced AwareIM developers can maybe point me in the right direction to this post.
Thank you
hpl123

Re: Applying AwareIM UPDATES

Post by hpl123 »

I think most of us have our own list of what to do at this point and several of the ones you find in the forums are outdated. I do my updates more or less "unconsciously" now and is also very much specific for my infrastructure so I won´t share my specific steps.

Writing up something like this "officially" and having it as part of the user guide wiki would be a good thing though and nice to have so is a kind of "feature request" I guess. Automatic upgrades is still the holy grail of course and hopefully comes at some point.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
joben

Post by joben »

You can find some inspiration here. You should write your own guide to simplify your upgrading process.

0. Download the new version (and license key if needed) of AwareIM.
1. Make a complete backup of your virtual machine.
2. Stop the AwareIM and Tomcat service in Windows
3. Copy your Custom folder, custom login pages, and configuration files that might be overwritten/removed by the installer.
4. Run the installer to the end
5. Don't start AwareIM yet
(6. Run the productkey.bat and paste the license key)
7. Paste your custom files, custom login pages back. Look through the config files (for example server.xml) and see if your settings are still there.
8. If there is a Windows update available it can be a good idea to install this aswell.
9. Reboot the server and make sure that the AwareIM and Tomcat service start automatically
10. Log in to the applications and make sure everything is okay
Regards, Joakim

bwalk

Post by bwalk »

Thank you both for your replies.
I will see what I can do applying your tips.
Thank you.