REST API Question

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
customaware

REST API Question

Post by customaware »

When developing a REST API POST Call......

Assume I want to pass a single Parameter in the URL...
https://mydomain.com/app/REST/mydomain/ ... =MyAuthKey

To do this I have a BO with a single Plain Text Attribute called AuthKey.
When called, that BO.AuthKey is populated with MyAuthKey

Now Assume I don't want to pass a single Parameter in the URL, but instead I pass a json body with several values called
{
"Data1": "somedata",
"Data2": 1234.56,
"Data3": "someotherdata"
}

I have a receiving BO with Attributes... Data1, Data2, Data3

A call to https://mydomain.com/app/REST/mydomain/ ... lEmployees?
with that body populates the BO with the data as expected.

However, imagine now we want a combination of these two scenarios...
I want to pass a single Parameter in the URL and also a json body

ie...
URL = https://mydomain.com/app/REST/mydomain/ ... =MyAuthKey
Body = {
"Data1": "somedata",
"Data2": 1234.56,
"Data3": "someotherdata"
}

I cannot imagine that we only need a single BO to receive this with the Attributes....
AuthKey
Data1
Data2
Data3

I would expect I would need a Parent BO to accept the Parameter and then a Child BO for the json Attributes
Hence the we would have
ParentBO...
Authkey

ChildBO
Data1
Data2
Data3

This means we would need a reference in the ParentBO to refer to the ChildBO
If this is correct...Is there some correct name to call the reference attribute...?

For example....
ParentBO...
Authkey
body (a peer reference to ChildBO)

ChildBO
Data1
Data2
Data3

Would appreciate any suggestions here please.
Cheers,
Mark
Jaymer

Re: REST API Question

Post by Jaymer »

There’s multiple ways to answer this question.
Too complicated to go back-and-forth asking questions about.

If you are in total control of the data you want to submit to your rest function, then think about this:
https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic ... 94&p=51114
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
customaware

Post by customaware »

Thanx Jaymer.

Not sure if you provided the link you intended? That link is related to the SET function rather than REST Calls? 😳
Cheers,
Mark
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

That’s exactly what I intended.
But you didn’t answer if you have access to the data you submit. (Or if some “outside” process is creating the data/JSON). Why JSON?
If you do, and you can submit one string… Submit your data in the form of a set statement.
Then your rest call sends The SET statement and YOU execute it.
No need for a parent/child structure.
But it may not work depending on your data - I don’t know.
That’s just one option.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
customaware

Post by customaware »

Ah. Ok
No I don’t have access.
The call is coming in from a 3rd party
Cheers,
Mark
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

So then your problem is creating a matching aware data structure for the supplied JSON string.
You need to publish that string here so we can see if it’s compatible with what Vlad is expecting.
Or maybe it already is tested and you know the JSON string is valid, it’s just an additional tag you’re trying to send.
I know you said it’s coming from a third-party.
but is the third-party calling your aware endpoint,
Or is the JSON data coming from a third-party and YOU are calling the endpoint.

Jaymer
BobK

Post by BobK »

Mark,

If I understand you correctly, you have set up a service in AwareIM to receive data from a third party. That third party is sending some data in JSON format in the body of the transaction, but also 1 piece of data in the URL to your service.

If that is correct, I do not think it can be done with AwareIM. :cry: At least, I could not get it to work.

Here is what I tried:
I created a simple service along with a BO that is the input to the Process the service calls. The BO only has 2 attributes (A and B).
I used Postman to send the data to my service and performed the following 4 tests. I did not make any changes in AwareIM between tests, the only differences was how the data was sent to the service.

Test 1: I performed a GET call with the 2 attributes in the URL. Result: The BO was created with the 2 attributes populated.

Test 2: I performed a POST call with the 2 attributes in JSON format in the body of the transaction. Result: The BO was created with the 2 attributes populated.

Test 3: I performed a GET call with 1 attribute in the URL and 1 attribute in JSON format in the body of the transaction. Result: The BO was created with just attribute A populated with the data from the URL.

Test 4: I performed a POST call with 1 attribute in the URL and 1 attribute in JSON format in the body of the transaction. Result: The BO was created with just attribute B populated with the data from the body of the transaction.
Bob