V9 NEW FEATURES discussion

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

V9 NEW FEATURES discussion

Post by Jaymer »

New Features:
1. New Java (Java17 or later)
2. Latest Kendo UI library with new themes
3. Support for high resolution in the dialogs of the Configuration Tool
4. Redesign of outgoing emails-they are now specified in business version properties just like incoming emails
5. Support for OAuth in emails
6. Redesign of filters:
Watch this video tutorial: https://youtu.be/DmzTDkpSkDg
7. Support for QRCodes in forms and custom queries.
8. Support for Line Icons font (free) - when any icon in the Configuration Tool is selected there is a button to select from the Line Icons font or from Font Awesome font
9. Support for tiles in visual perspectives.
Watch this video tutorial: https://youtu.be/Z7ib6SH3dUE
10.Button Group widget for text attributes with static choices
11.Support for special editing widgets in standard queries - switches, rating, toggle button, button group.
Watch this video tutorial: https://youtu.be/rFVK6WhAo98
12.Support for WorkSheets
13.Redesign of the Duration attribute - new widget to edit the format of duration (also supports the initial value)
—————————————————————————————————————
Just my thoughts…
3. Will certainly be nice. Have needed this for years
4. Unsure of this. If it’s harcoded into the BSV then it can’t be changed or dynamic for users (ie. Each salesman would ideally be sending from his own mailbox, defined in his profile.). And if this ability didn’t exist, you’d be using SystemSettings, hence I’m unclear as to the use case.
6. Very much needed in some cases and definitely a plus for end users!
7. Even on my WordPress sites and entry forms and emails, I’ve never been sold on qrcodes. I’ve always thought “why send an event confirmation via email with a qrcode to be scanned at event checkin?” When a simple unique barcode (that is scanned) is going to bring up the registration record just as well. Would like someone to sell me on using qrcodes.
9. Devs who have needed dashboards have worked around this for years now. But this is definitely a great new feature.
10. Someone out there is jumping for joy over this
11. Remains to be seen if a rule can be fired immediately when a switch is flipped via inline editing. Some of these might be useful sometimes.

Anyone else?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
customaware

Re: V9 NEW FEATURES discussion

Post by customaware »

Just a Heads Up….

If you have ever used “Comment” as an Attribute Name in previous versions, you need to ensure you change it to something else before migrating to V9.
In V9, Comment is now a Reserved Word.
Cheers,
Mark
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

I think the 2 main "themes" of improvements for me in this version is UI/UX improvements and developer tools improvements. The UI/UX improvements are huge and most of the newly implemented UI things are things I have implemented myself (at great time/effort/cost) e.g latest KendoUI, better themes, modern menu and better menu options, tiles, advanced filters, query row (inline editing) widgets, improved charts and all of these UI stuff directly relates to UX as many of the new UI improvements improves the options we have in creating a great UX. The developer tools improvements are all of the small things that make life easier for a developer like worksheets, the scheduler improvements + all of the small things here and there that improves things. I also always like general improvements like the new REST options, JSON options, DQ function etc. etc. etc. and there are a lot of good general improvement stuff in this release as well.

All in all again I think this is the best version update in years. I think AwareIM has become such a mature product in this space when comparing it to a 10 years ago and is awesome to see and use.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

customaware wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:00 am Just a Heads Up….

If you have ever used “Comment” as an Attribute Name in previous versions, you need to ensure you change it to something else before migrating to V9.
In V9, Comment is now a Reserved Word.
Thanks for the heads up, I use this in a bunch of places so no good. Talking about reserved words, a FR for a future release is to prefix all reserved words etc. with AimReserved or something so we don't have to deal with things like this (and the limitations in general with not being able to use a bunch of quite common words as attribute names).
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
Arnold

Post by Arnold »

Dang I definitely have to revisit using AwareIM with this new version 9 and see if it will work for me this time around. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it. The question for me is can I learn and develop and implement in a timely manner and do all the things I need to. Arnold
jannes

Post by jannes »

"Data" is also a reserved word now in V9
Jaymer

Build 3241

Post by Jaymer »

anyone know what this means exactly?
From the release notes:

It should now be possible to explicitly indicate if a visual perspective can be used as a URL parameter
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Does anyone have a list of V9 reserved words?

if so pls post here, tks

Comment
Client
Data
(so far)
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
customaware

Post by customaware »

Cheers,
Mark
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

nah the AwareIM reserved words pls
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
customaware

Post by customaware »

My understanding is that any DB Reserved words are now reserved in Aware.

I am probably totally wrong but that is my understanding.
Have had time to test them all.
Cheers,
Mark
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

don't think so because "Comment" isn't a DB reserved word
customaware

Post by customaware »

Good Point 👍
Cheers,
Mark
BobK

Post by BobK »

RLJB wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:25 am Does anyone have a list of V9 reserved words?

if so pls post here, tks

Comment
Client
Data
(so far)
+100

Here are a couple I have found
Admin
Authentication
Bob
ACDC