Spreadsheet Style Entry

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
john

Spreadsheet Style Entry

Post by john »

Hi

Just a very quick question so I dont waste a lot of time trying to work this one out . . .

Is there any functionality at all that provides the ability to enter information in a spreadsheet style format, where each row would constitute a record in the database. We have a situation where users will need to enter multiple records (a bit like a multiple Timesheet). It would be nice if a user could enter all of these details on the one form rather than having to create a new record for every person.

I would work say by the user be selecting a temp (which is a BO in my system) then a company (where that temp worked which is also a BO in my system) and filling in various other information related to that temp. Each user (or Agency in this case) has multiple temps hence the 'niceness' of having it all on one form. I understand that this could be imported but this does not really provide the same safe environment as the AwareIM system does, so I cannot really rely on users entering the correct information into say an Excel Spreadsheet first.

I hope that makes sense, it was just an idea I had so please dont think im complaning as I think the system is great!

Best Regards
John
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

> Is there any functionality at all that provides the ability to enter information in a spreadsheet style format, where each row would constitute a record in the database.
Yes, this can be done using the Inline Editing presentation option for multiple-allowed reference attributes. You can see an example of this in the Ordering sample application. If you login as Staff you will be able to add/edit multiple line items on the customer order form.
Aware IM Support Team
john

Post by john »

Brilliant,

Thanks very much for that I will take a look

Regards
John
john

Post by john »

Hmmm

I have another problem with this, when I try to query the data as this will be exported into another system, the reference attributes are not available?

For example:
I have an agency submitting and Assignent sheet populated by references to other Business Objects. I need somebody here to pull up these rescords and export the data to CSV, the referenced data would need to be included also.

Is there a way around this?
Regards
John
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

> Is there a way around this?

Yes, you can export the multiple items within the container object into a CSV file. In the Order - LineItems example it would be exporting the line items within a given order.

If you add a shortcut to the contained object, for example LineItem.OrderNumber pointing to LineItem.Order.Number, you can export necessary attributes from the container object into the same CSV file as the item objects.
Aware IM Support Team
john

Post by john »

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply, if I am right in understanding the answer I would need to run this from a process and not from a query.

Is it not possible to see the referenced attributes on a standard query? The reason I ask is because we like to be able to check the results before they are exported. It is just necer to do that in this system rather than opening a csv file in excel or notepad?

Thanks
John
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

If you are happy to see the multiple referenced objects on the container object form you can run a query like this as the form operation:

FIND ContainedObject WHERE ContainedObject.Container = ContainerObject ORDER BY ...

The ContainerObject seen on the form will be available in the context for the query. You can then see the results of the query and/or export them into a CSV file.
Aware IM Support Team