Custom CSS not working

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
edvwruhs

Custom CSS not working

Post by edvwruhs »

I have 3 buttons in a formular that I want to style independently with custom css. I assign a css class to each button and I created a custom css file in the AwareIm folder (AwareIM/Custom/CSS/MyFolder).

The problem is when trying to style (box-shadows, text-weight, etc.) the buttons nothing happens, why?

Is this because the KendoUI overwrites my changes?

Just to see what would happen I went to the kendo.bootstrap.min.css and added a box-shadow and voila it changed.

Any ideas how can I get this to work?

Best Regards
Jaymer

Re: Custom CSS not working

Post by Jaymer »

With a screenshot, show where you are applying the css.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

edvwruhs wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:48 pm I have 3 buttons in a formular that I want to style independently with custom css. I assign a css class to each button and I created a custom css file in the AwareIm folder (AwareIM/Custom/CSS/MyFolder).

The problem is when trying to style (box-shadows, text-weight, etc.) the buttons nothing happens, why?

Just to see what would happen I went to the kendo.bootstrap.min.css and added a box-shadow and voila it changed.

Best Regards
Not sure why the style isn´t applied, try emptying cache and see if something happens then? Another thing you can do is, use the browser inspector to go through the styles applied for a particular button and if the browser has the CSS styles etc. "loaded", you should see the class/style you are trying to apply and see if it has been applied or not and in many cases, you can also figure out why it hasn´t been applied.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
edvwruhs

Post by edvwruhs »

Jaymer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:54 pm With a screenshot, show where you are applying the css.
Button on Form
Button on Form
formButton.PNG (6.04 KiB) Viewed 7717 times

I applied the css class in the button settings and then I created a css-file in the CSS Folder (AwareIM/Custom/CSS/MyFolder/MyCssFile)
edvwruhs

Post by edvwruhs »

hpl123 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:23 pm
edvwruhs wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:48 pm I have 3 buttons in a formular that I want to style independently with custom css. I assign a css class to each button and I created a custom css file in the AwareIm folder (AwareIM/Custom/CSS/MyFolder).

Best Regards
Not sure why the style isn´t applied, try emptying cache and see if something happens then? Another thing you can do is, use the browser inspector to go through the styles applied for a particular button and if the browser has the CSS styles etc. "loaded", you should see the class/style you are trying to apply and see if it has been applied or not and in many cases, you can also figure out why it hasn´t been applied.
I tried that, the only thing I could see what maybe causes the problem is in the Network Section of the Browser Inspector (Google Chrome), it shows that my CSS-file got the Status 304, wich basically means that the client redirection response code indicates that there is no need to retransmit the requested resources, it is an implicit redirection to a cached resource.
cssFileInfo.PNG
cssFileInfo.PNG (4.21 KiB) Viewed 7716 times
But I am not really sure how I can solve this problem. Already emptied the cache.
joben

Post by joben »

CTRL+SHIFT+R will force the website to load with cache emptied.

If that doesn't work, try renaming the CSS file. As far as I know, AwareIM will load the CSS file regardless of its name, as long as it resides in the correct folder.
Regards, Joakim

edvwruhs

Post by edvwruhs »

joben wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:54 am CTRL+SHIFT+R will force the website to load with cache emptied.

If that doesn't work, try renaming the CSS file. As far as I know, AwareIM will load the CSS file regardless of its name, as long as it resides in the correct folder.
I tried that, didnt work unfortunately and I got this error for the buttons
labelError.PNG
labelError.PNG (15.43 KiB) Viewed 7708 times
joben

Post by joben »

What about hpl123's suggestion?

When using the element inspector on the button, you should be able to see all CSS rules that are being applied.
css.png
css.png (32.28 KiB) Viewed 7706 times
If you can see the rules from your custom CSS file but they are striked through, it is because another rule takes precedence. (See orange lines in the screenshot above for example how striked through looks like).
Then you have to use a more specific way to target the button.

If you can't see any references to your CSS file at all when inspecting your button, it is because the CSS file is wrong in some way.
The CSS file name is displayed in green circle in the screenshot above.
Maybe you spelled the class name wrong, or maybe there is a syntax error in your CSS file so that some rules are not being loaded properly. You can use the Jigsaw service to validate your CSS file: https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Regards, Joakim

edvwruhs

Post by edvwruhs »

joben wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:13 am What about hpl123's suggestion?

When using the element inspector on the button, you should be able to see all CSS rules that are being applied.

css.png

If you can see the rules from your custom CSS file but they are striked through, it is because another rule takes precedence. (See orange lines in the screenshot above for example how striked through looks like).

If you can't see any references to your CSS file at all when inspecting your button, it is because the CSS file is wrong in some way.
Maybe you spelled the class name wrong, or maybe there is a syntax error in your CSS file so that some rules are not being loaded properly. You can use the Jigsaw service to validate your CSS file: https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Unfortunately there is no reference to my CSS file, I checked the spelling of my file and the syntax, I also did the CSS file validation, it worked perfectly and everything is correct, but for some reason it still doesnt work :?
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

edvwruhs wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:15 pm
joben wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:13 am What about hpl123's suggestion?

css.png

Unfortunately there is no reference to my CSS file, I checked the spelling of my file and the syntax, I also did the CSS file validation, it worked perfectly and everything is correct, but for some reason it still doesnt work :?
If you find no reference to the file, try doublechecking the folder name and also make sure the CSS file is directly in the folder and not in a subfolder i.e if your app name is MyApp the folder has to be called "MyApp" and be placed in the right place (Custom/CSS/MyApp).
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)