FR: Read/list BSV descriptions

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
hpl123

FR: Read/list BSV descriptions

Post by hpl123 »

Hi support,
I use the description field of BSVs to write a changelog so I document every change I do and this is great BUT it isn´t easy to get an overview over previous changes. I have to open up and import an BSV just to see what the description is which isn´t ideal (I delete older versions from the config tool and only keep the last 3 versions).

A useful tool or solution would be a tool of some sort (or the config tool itself is probably better) where we can point to a folder that has multiple BSV files and the tool/solution would then list the version number of the BSV together with the description so we see the description version by version.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
tford

Re: FR: Read/list BSV descriptions

Post by tford »

Is that info in the database in a way that could be read by Aware query and shown in a query?
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

tford wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:42 pm Is that info in the database in a way that could be read by Aware query and shown in a query?
I don't think that is stored at the moment but could be a solution and maybe an even better one. Have Aware save ALL versions number and description per BS and we could then inside the config tool see that in a list and view and delete rows/versions, export version history etc..
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Another solution would be building proper changelog management into the config tool?
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

hpl123 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:59 pm A useful tool or solution would be a tool of some sort (or the config tool itself is probably better) where we can point to a folder that has multiple BSV files and the tool/solution would then list the version number of the BSV together with the description so we see the description version by version.
if you need this, just write it yourself.
export BSVs as xml,
then parse/process it and display what you need.
kinda easy if you HAVE to have it.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Jaymer wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:05 pm
hpl123 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:59 pm A useful tool or solution would be a tool of some sort (or the config tool itself is probably better) where we can point to a folder that has multiple BSV files and the tool/solution would then list the version number of the BSV together with the description so we see the description version by version.
if you need this, just write it yourself.
export BSVs as xml,
then parse/process it and display what you need.
kinda easy if you HAVE to have it.
Yeah, worst case scenario this would work.