FR: Trash bin

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
hpl123

FR: Trash bin

Post by hpl123 »

Hi support/all,
I often delete things e.g attributes, BOs, notifications etc. and 5 minutes later I realize I actually didn´t want to do or that I need something I had in the deleted thing and one thing that would be great is if we had some trash bin or something like that where all recently deleted things are kept e.g for 30 days or so and from there we can click 1 button and restore the deleted thing if we choose. Not sure if and how this could be solved but I have had this problems many times and don´t see no real solution for it in Aware except restoring old backups but they often don´t keep the changes i´ve done during the last session.

Another related thing that would be cool is also having something similar for changes i.e a list of the change made and then a possibility to revert that change. The current "Undo" option in Aware doesn´t always work and it isn´t clear what exactly Aware is trying to roll back so having a better way of managing this would be great.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
joben

Re: FR: Trash bin

Post by joben »

This is what is commonly known as "version history" or "revisions".
Sharepoint as well as WordPress has it out of the box, and I agree it would be a nice addition.

Sometimes we log changes made with help of the GET_CHANGES function:

Code: Select all

If ImportantBo WAS CHANGED Then
CREATE Log WITH 
Log.Changes=GET_CHANGES(ImportantBO),
Log.Description='Made some changes',
Log.Time=CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
Log.User=LoggedInRegularUser.LoginName,
Log.ImportantBO=ImportantBO
Pretty useful if someone screwed up the data, but is of course not a replacement for a proper versioning function.
Regards, Joakim

hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

joben wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:43 pm This is what is commonly known as "version history" or "revisions".
Sharepoint as well as WordPress has it out of the box, and I agree it would be a nice addition.

CREATE Log WITH 
Pretty useful if someone screwed up the data, but is of course not a replacement for a proper versioning function.
I use something similar and is great, what I was thinking about here was config tool changes.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
joben

Post by joben »

My bad :D

Still a great idea though!
Regards, Joakim

ACDC

Post by ACDC »

joben wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:43 pm This is what is commonly known as "version history" or "revisions".

CREATE Log WITH 
(this is a bit off-topic but related)
We need an extra Delete Option in the operation line up of functions to: Delete (Trash Can)
which will simply assign the READ PROTECT function to the record. Also have a query that lists all Trash Can Deletes to allow restore or proper deletion - I had this working one time with a Trash Can option on the form managed by the user and an Object rule. But it became messy.

Having this option would be useful and easy to enforce disciplines on records that are deleted - (maybe this should go on the wish list for V9)