Build 3127

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
aware_support

Build 3127

Post by aware_support »

Bugs:
- Preview of wide queries didn't show horizontal scroll bars
- Executing a process with auto-refresh from a tree caused a crash
- Dragging of a band in the Report Designer didn't work
- Setting output to "Same Panel" didn't work sometimes
- presentation styles were not applied to combo boxes

Improvements:
- "Resolve Shortcuts" property when defining a query (performance booster)
Aware IM Support Team
Jaymer

Re: Build 3127

Post by Jaymer »

—> Resolve Shortcuts" property when defining a query (performance booster)

Could you explain this plz?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

Jaymer wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:25 am —> Resolve Shortcuts" property when defining a query (performance booster)

Could you explain this plz?
https://www.awareim.com/dokuwiki/doku.p ... _shortcuts
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

I have not yet installed the new build but I am cautiously optimistic that when running queries that (using SQL terms) are foreign keys to a table. I.E. My Customer Table has a link to 1 record in the Salesperson / discount code, etc. Most of the time, when querying customers I do not need the salesperson or discount info. If I tell Aware to NOT resolve it when performing the query there should be a lot less SQL generated. Esp. since Aware tends to write SQL not in the most efficient manner. (Understand why since it writes the SQL instead of me.) Will be curious to see how much speed improvement people find in the "critical" queries.

Bruce
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Ok, that’s a nice feature.
It eliminates a chunk of extra calls in queries… the next step would be to “resolve” shortcuts in a form and processes.
One reason I consciously “strategically” add reference fields is because I don’t want to add tons of shortcuts that resolve every time a record is made current EVEN WHEN THAT DATA IS NOT NEEDED.

This handles queries but hopefully he will consider the larger issue in forms and processes (i’d say processes would have a greater savings of the two).

I look forward to this install to benchmark speeding up some apps.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

If this is intended to benefit queries, it would be nice to have some of those kendo grid improvements discussed in that other thread.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Finally saw this - nice, but its easy to see some future improvements.

1. Check/Uncheck all box at top of list
2. See the description text... "Make sure the shortcuts are not used anywhere". I think the system should help me out with that!
Either an explicit button to check now,
OR it checks all fields when this dialog opens and displays "not used" next to some.
OR If you uncheck an item, it scans the code for this grid and instantly warns you if its "in use".
3. well, then this of course: [Turn off unUsed shortcuts] since it already knows which ones are NOT in use, just clear them!

Overall, excited to test it live and check speeds.
Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 11.40.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 11.40.26 PM.png (25.68 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

Jaymer
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

Here's the impact of not resolving shortcuts.

https://awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58291#p58291

3,000 + records in a query comprising a BOG made up of six member BOs.