For those few using Aware on OS X and need SQL Server Locally

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

For those few using Aware on OS X and need SQL Server Locally

Post by BLOMASKY »

I have finally figured out the best way to run SQL Server on a mac (either Intel or M1 based) in Docker and have Aware connect to it. This configuration keeps all the permanent data outside of the Docker container (so easy to copy backups of databases to / from the local file system. Happy to share what I learned with others.

Bruce
customaware

Re: For those few using Aware on OS X and need SQL Server Locally

Post by customaware »

Would love to see a writeup on that Bruce.
Cheers,
Mark
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Me too!

also, any ideas on running AwareIM in a Docker container as well ?
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

would be very easy to run aware in a docker container if using the linux version of aware. There are many many different versions of linux to choose from. The part that it took me a while to wrap my head around is that your linux / sql server and other containers are ephemeral. They can be erased and re-created easily. However, the data (in my case the SQL Server databases) have to be preserved. Figured out the best practice (at least for me) to be able to map a folder on my host machine (mac laptop) to the mssql folder in the container.

Would be happy to do a 20-30 min webinar in how I did this.

Bruce