Issue after mistake

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
robleer

Issue after mistake

Post by robleer »

Hi,

I need an advice how to solve a problem.

This is the situation:

I have an Aware application which runs fine in production.
I wanted to add some new features and while doing that in testing/development mode, I accidentally deleted a business object (with a lot of rules and details).

To solve this, I created a new Business Space, loaded a copy of the production environment and then made a copy of the deleted Business Object. Then I pasted this Business Object back in my development environment. Everything seemed to be ok after that (no errors), but while testing my application I noticed that al the data of this Business Object was gone/deleted. So, it looks like Aware drops the table in the database and then creates a new one causing the data loss.

But I'm out of ideas now how to solve this (except making a complex export/import procedure).

Is there a way to drop the testing/development database and create a new one from the production application without loosing my data?

After that I can continue developping ->publishing like before.

TIA,

Rob
Using 8.7 Professional 3025 on MySQL/Windows
Jaymer

Re: Issue after mistake

Post by Jaymer »

1) have you published yet?
if not, why not just give up trying to salvage this and go back to previous version (which is making a Minor v from CURRENT like you normally do)
You'll lose all your code changes, but redoing them might be faster overall.

2) what database?
if you are going to make a new Minor version, then you could restore a backup of LIVE data into TEST, since it will match?

You ask about "losing your data"? Are you talking about Test data? (which is why I ask Q # 1)
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
robleer

Post by robleer »

1. No I did not Publish it.

I did try your solution going back to the previous version, but then I got an error in de the Aware Configurator that some tables do not exist. It says that Aware could not drop tables and I got into more troubles.
So my feeling is now that the database is not in sync with the Business Space anymore.

2. I think I will try this I because I do not know another solution for my problem.

Thanks for your help so far!
robleer

Post by robleer »

Update on this issue:

I did go back to an older version and published that version (after making a good backup of course).
This went well and I did not loose my data in my production database.

In the develoment/testing database my data was lost, but thats not really a problem. So after all its solved without real problems and thanks for your help.