Too many versions of a Business Space?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
numberz

Too many versions of a Business Space?

Post by numberz »

Hello,
So, I have a Business Space with many versions. So many that I need to scroll down to load the newest. I had asked someone if I can delete some of these and the answer was no because it will cause problems. Hmm, that doesn't feel right.

Can I get some opinions on this please? I've attached an image giving an idea of what I'm describing.
versions.jpg
versions.jpg (152.17 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
Regards and thanks,
Harry Carter
hpl123

Re: Too many versions of a Business Space?

Post by hpl123 »

Delete away, deleting old BSVs doesn´t cause any problems as far as I know except of course it makes it impossible to go back and republish older versions if needed but is rarely needed except maybe a couple of versions back if some issues come up in newly published versions and you have to identify where they originated.

I usually only have the CURRENT bsv and maybe 3-5 of the previous versions saved and I also have another mechanism in place where I export the BSV after every change I do to a BS + I have multiple DB backups per day which means, if I need to go back to older versions, I can do that any time I want and I can even go years back if I want as I have the old BS files and DB files saved.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
numberz

Post by numberz »

Henrik, thanks.
I also save BSVs like that. I'll note what I did and time of day and date in the titles.

The thing that confuses me though is... if I try to load and put under test any one of these I get errors such as attached image.
Why can't I do this?
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (28.91 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
Regards and thanks,
Harry Carter
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

I don't know what you were trying to do but the error has to do with Aware trying to delete (drop) the attribute SortOrder from BO JOBAREAS and one of the BSV versions don't have that attribute so can't delete it. Difficult to know exactly what is going on without knowing more and also knowing the changes you've done, what your DB look like right now etc..
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

It is good that you are getting that error. Otherwise you might want to play with an old version where some BOs / attributes were NOT defined and if Aware deleted them, you would lose some data!

Aware is unique in the fact as you make changes that affect the underlying database structure, when you go to test (and /or publish your version) aware will quietly make all of the changes.

If you NEED to use a very old version, best to back up your database, then start test with NO existing data (aware will build the tables) then restore from your backup. That way if new attributes were added they will be in the DB and aware will just ignore them.

And I agree, just keep the last 2-4 versions in aware, export the rest of them and delete them from the tree.

Bruce
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

I run two servers.

One is design one is test. When I am ready to migrate to test I publish on the design server and then export the BSV and import it onto the test server. Once I've promoted the design BSV I delete the previous version from the design server BSV. I have an archive of exported BSVs should I ever need them.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I can officially confirm that deleting an OBSOLETE version doesn't cause any problems.
Aware IM Support Team
numberz

Post by numberz »

Thanks Everyone.
I am using Maria db located on my server.
Should Heidi be backed up each time that I export a bsv?

In other words, should every bsv have a matching sql backup?
Because I'm thinking that if I wanted to go back 6 months, I could load that bsv with it's matching sql backup?
TIA
Regards and thanks,
Harry Carter
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

numberz wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:53 pm Henrik, thanks.
I also save BSVs like that. I'll note what I did and time of day and date in the titles.

The thing that confuses me though is... if I try to load and put under test any one of these I get errors such as attached image.
Why can't I do this?
The fact that your BSV's are green and (New) is a worry and the image that you are showing means now you have no choice but to go in with a DB management tool, and add that attribute in, then try to publish - but the problem is, whilst it might get past the one you have added, if it trips over another missing attribute, you'll have to start over and manually add into your DB table, the original one plus the new one ... and so on .... and so on.

My method of working is just to have ONE BSV that I'm working on (green (NEW), test it, put it back into edit mode, work on it some more, test it, and when I'm happy, publish it (it becomes "Current and no longer green) then IMMEDIATELY export the current one (incrementing the version number in the document name). Back to Current and immediately create a new minor version to work on the next release.

Looking at your green list - you MIGHT be able to start at the top and publish each one in turn - but without knowing what/how/when you have published a live version in the midst of that lot - no guarantees
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
numberz

Post by numberz »

Rocketman,
I guess I don't really need the others and they are saved to a folder anyway.
I was told that they'd mess things up if I deleted them but then again, my mother used to tell me not to wear my Winter boots in the house or I'd go blind :)
Thank you.
Regards and thanks,
Harry Carter
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

numberz wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:43 am Rocketman,
I guess I don't really need the others and they are saved to a folder anyway.
I was told that they'd mess things up if I deleted them but then again, my mother used to tell me not to wear my Winter boots in the house or I'd go blind :)
Thank you.
😂😂😂
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5