Stay on create form after adding a new record

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jhstephenson

Stay on create form after adding a new record

Post by Jhstephenson »

I am not sure why this seems so difficult, but I must be making it harder than it is...

Let's say I have two BO's a parent (Case) and child (Details). In the BO's Case is setup as the owner of Details with a child_Details attribute and in the Details is a parent_Case reference attribute.

On the Main case form I have a tab that is a query of all of the detail records for a case. On that query I have a button in Panel Operations to create a new detail record that is set to 'Add New Reference' and it uses the main form for the Detail records.

I enter a new detail record and hit the create button. It immediately returns to the Details query with the new record now on that screen. This is ok so far, except that I would like it to stay on the Details create form so that I can enter another new record and then when I am finished, I just want to hit 'Close' and return to the Details query with my new records showing up.

My understanding is that if instead of using 'Add New Reference' I could just do a 'Create Object' and then check the 'Redisplay form after object has been created' box and it would do this. But then my parent_Case reference does not get automatically updated and I have to come up with some way to update my parent_Case attribute in the Details record with the ID for the Case I was on when I hit the Add New Details button.

I tried setting a rule in the Details file to update the parent_Case attribute with Case and ThisCase but that doesn't seem to work.

I tried creating a process to 'ENTER New......' but it just does the same thing as 'Add New Reference'; creates the record and returns to the query.

Is there some simple way to do what I am trying to?

Thanks,
Jim
PointsWell

Re: Stay on create form after adding a new record

Post by PointsWell »

Set the auto refresh on the Parent form to be on the creation of Details BO and use the Create option
Jhstephenson

Re: Stay on create form after adding a new record

Post by Jhstephenson »

I am back looking at this issue for another client and am still having difficulties getting the form to stay up after each record is entered.

Here is what I have in this particular case:

- Parent Record - WorkOrder - has a child called TallyList
- On the WorkOrder main form there is a tab that shows a query of the TallyList records entered.
- In the Panel Operations on the TallyList Query there is a button to 'Add New Tally' - this calls a process that looks like this:

Code: Select all

CREATE WorkOrder_TallySheet WITH WorkOrder_TallySheet.parent_WorkOrder=WorkOrder 
EDIT WorkOrder_TallySheet USING 'Enter New Tally Record' 
- The new form comes up just fine. I can update any attributes I want
- When I click on 'Save' though it saves the record and goes right back to the TallyList Query.

I have put on the Auto Refresh for the TallyList query to refresh on the process, just on the BO, and both at different times and it does the exact same thing.

I have used 'VIEW WorkOrder_TallySheet...." instead of EDIT and it does the same thing.

I must be missing something here. It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult.