System Documentation

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

System Documentation

Post by BLOMASKY »

As we all know, most programmers suck at documentation. I am one of those! However, I have a large system with a fair amount of SQL Stored Procedures and some very complex business rules / processes. My customer would like me to document the system. What tools do you guys (and gals) use to speed up this very tiresome task? I am sure there must be better ways than just using MS Word (I do use an ER Diagramming tool to document the database tables, so really just looking to document my Aware system. (With more and easier to search options than just using the "Generate Documentation" options

Thanks

Bruce
chris__29

Re: System Documentation

Post by chris__29 »

If you are familiar with building aware plug-ins then you can write a class to pull out details from the bsv.

We currently do this for an online Data Dictionary, the data is populated into predefined objects for the BO and Attributes, its fairly detailed.

Also we pull out the Services information to document our API again these are output to predefined objects although ideally you would want this in a swagger format, it's one option to self document the API's available in your bsv.

There was well documented API information for aware but this stopped a number of releases ago, I have asked for an update but its no longer possible.

Using this approach you could output into a format or data structure you need to self document each time an update is applied at a customer site, if just replies on ensuring the the description on each object and attribute are available.
AwareIM 8.8
MySQL, MSSQL
MS Server
Australia