How to fix awareim error

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
sabbirehal

How to fix awareim error

Post by sabbirehal »

Hi Group,
I am trying to put version under test and getting this error. Can someone suggest how to fix this error. See attached.

Thanks
Attachments
AwareIM Error1.jpg
AwareIM Error1.jpg (108.59 KiB) Viewed 9416 times
Jaymer

Re: How to fix awareim error

Post by Jaymer »

due to editing of relationships/references/owned by/etc, aware is confused.

IMO, the only way to fix this is to physically delete that file in the db (from an outside tool) and let aware re-created it when going to test.
thats going to wipe any data

so you may also have to do this when publishing (I'd wait and see if you get the same error)
... if so, instead of deleting the file, rename it. let aware create the new [empty] on, and write SQL to move all the rows into the empty one.

also, it seems when you created this app, you didn't specify a database - don't know what backend you're in, (hopefully not default Derby), so all the files get stuck in the same default db.
I think its best practice to ALWAYS specify a database when making a new BSV, -AND- ALWAYS make another db for test:
example:
For new BSV: CustList
main db: CustList
testing db: CustListTEST
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Also, Aware will get confused if you rename a field in a table, and before publishing add another field of the same name in the same table.

(example: In the Cust table, you have a field "sales". You realize you're going to use that as "sales_ytd" so you simply rename the field. No issues here.
But you still want a sales field for another reason, so now you make new field "sales".
I'm pretty sure this will confuse aware to some extent. Its gotten better over the years (and quite frankly, its amazing the job Vlad has done to begin with for Aware to keep all the changes straight and apply them for us behind the scenes - amazeballs!). Anyway, the way to make this work would be to save/test/publish with only the rename. Then make new version and add the new field. Will not fail now.)

This is the SAFE foolproof way where Aware cannot get confused.
All it takes is one of these episodes (like you are now in) to delay you and cause stress, to then make you want to do it safely in the future.

If you did LOTS of changes and aware gets confused, instead of a single message like you're getting now, you can get SEVERAL - and then its lots of work to get back functioning.

So, when messing with relationships, adding/deleting, best to do baby steps and save & publish often.
Thats my $.02 - your mileage may vary
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
customaware

Post by customaware »

Jaymer is correct in that Aware has become confused.

I have generally found similar if I for example, delete and attribute and then create another attribute of the same name without saving first.

Usually in these rare cases, you can sort it out by putting Aware in Test by selecting No Initial Data... Note: You will lose all of your Test data but at least all the Business Objects will be fixed.
No Initial Data.png
No Initial Data.png (198.18 KiB) Viewed 9397 times
Cheers,
Mark
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

And, that is another reason why to always create separate Production and TestDBs (separate from the default Aware ones). If you do have to go to test with NO initial data, 1st rename the DB then after you go to test you can then restore the DB.

Bruce
sabbirehal

Post by sabbirehal »

Hi Jaymer,

Thank for reply.
My application was simply a test application but I did mistake by not creating the separate database for test. So I exported the application to bsv and then deleted the app and recreated with correct database and imported the application again.

But I do have another problem where it looks my default app is causing the problem and it always give error. Is there any way I can change the default app as I cannot delete the default app or fix my default app somehow?

Thanks
Sabbi
Attachments
DefaultApp.jpg
DefaultApp.jpg (90.06 KiB) Viewed 9361 times
sabbirehal

Post by sabbirehal »

Thanks Mark. I'll try to follow your tip if it happens again.

Regards,
Sabbi
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

The default app is your main app where aware stores it’s internal data. It’s the first app that the system asks you for when you start aware the first time. When I do a fresh install, I name that AIM and then that’s where aware stores its files and I never put anything in that database or BSV.

Jaymer
sabbirehal

Post by sabbirehal »

Do you mean, I need to fresh install AIM in case it is causing some trouble? Currently, I don't have any other app in my AIM install but the default app somehow causing trouble.
The default app does not have current version and I cannot create one.
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

You wrote
“ But I do have another problem where it looks my default app is causing the problem and it always give error. Is there any way I can change the default app as I cannot delete the default app or fix my default app somehow?”

And I don’t really understand what you are saying.
Since you have something wrong happening, why not reinstall into new database.

Make export of bsv
Rename the aware system db so when you run aware it will not find it and act as a fresh install and ask for db

Use AIM for that first db for the system files and never put anything else in there.

Always create new db and test db for EVERY new bsv

Jaymer
sabbirehal

Post by sabbirehal »

Ok, great. I had simply renamed my databases in Heidi SQL (Live and Test) and re-ran the AIM without re-installing and it allows me to create the new Default App.
But I lost my license information and it displayed 30 day evaluation license.
I have sent my new product id to Vladimir for new license key.

Thanks
Sabbi
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Product ID shouldn’t change.
Same key should work.

Jaymer
sabbirehal

Post by sabbirehal »

But I noticed, every time I rename database, it changes the product id.
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

ok, my bad. i figured it would stay the same since its the same PC.
No worries - you've got 30 days!

Jaymer
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

sabbirehal wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:36 pm Ok, great. I had simply renamed my databases in Heidi SQL (Live and Test) and re-ran the AIM without re-installing and it allows me to create the new Default App.
But I lost my license information and it displayed 30 day evaluation license.
I have sent my new product id to Vladimir for new license key.

Thanks
Sabbi
As above, the default application is where AIM stores a lot of its data about AIM, licence, product ID etc.