Updating BSV on remote server - issue with views

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jhstephenson

Updating BSV on remote server - issue with views

Post by Jhstephenson »

I am curious how this is being handled by others…

I do the development for a client’s app on my server, export the bsv and then copy it to the client’s server, where I import it and publish the new version. This works pretty well.

I ran into an issue though.

If I create a view on my server and then a BO from that view, I have to tell it that it is connected to my server and database. I can then create any queries I want for it. No problem here so far either.

Now I want to publish a new version for the client. So, I publish it on my server and then export the bsv. I then send it to the client’s server and create a new version and import it. No problem here either.

But now the views that I have created as BO’s point to my server, not the client’s. I have to go in and, on any of those BO’s that are my views, edit the server location, Instance, Database, and credentials and then click on ‘Discover Attributes’ as well as select my Primary Key, again. Then the view BO will work. I have to do this every time I send over new versions.

If I start using more views, which is highly likely, this will become a major pain in the backside.

Is there any way around this, besides developing things on the client’s server?
Jaymer

Re: Updating BSV on remote server - issue with views

Post by Jaymer »

I don’t know exactly, but you could probably export it as XML, and just change one line that points to the server, and import.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
tford

Post by tford »

I have a similar question.

I've been considering using Aware IM in some scenarios in my new gig.

Aware would be connecting to an "Existing External" Postgres DB. We have both a staging (or test) server and a production server.

I'm trying to envision how we would easily transition a BSV from accessing the staging server to the production server.

Sounds like the same challenge as Jhstephenson.

Any suggestions, Vladimir? Or has anyone tackled this issue before?
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Code: Select all

I have to go in and, on any of those BO’s that are my views, edit the server location, Instance, Database, and credentials and then click on ‘Discover Attributes’ as well as select my Primary Key, again
What if you don't discover attributes again? In theory you should be able to just change the connection properties of the "database environment" without having to re-discover anything (and this is done only once). Can you try that? If this doesn't work can you attach any error messages you are getting?
Aware IM Support Team