about release notes

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

about release notes

Post by Jaymer »

when a "big" release comes out (or any signif. new functions), i've always been disappointed that there's not a new forum section with a folder for the release, and a post with the new Features EXPLAINED.

Some times, things are mentioned as a new Improvement, but its hard to grasp the significance/importance of it.

This, for example from bld 3006:

12.For documents and pictures stored externally (File System or Amazon S3) the path of the document can be specified as an expression, not necessarily an attribute

I haven't installed 3.7 yet anywhere because there were some first-day issues. But it would be nice to give a brief explanation of this and the benefit. You always have to specify a Path in the local filesystem, but now you don't need this extra field in the BO (which had to have a rule to calc the path)? Whats the benefit of that? It can't be to save 100 bytes. So why? I've always found it useful to have the path stored in an attribute so I can see it if I browse the table (or even if I needed to change the path I can edit it in the file). So what could be a benefit to having it NOT stored?
[One thing might be to dynamically point to path - like test data, or archived folder, with a SystemSettings value in the path.]

The feature usually gets put there because there was a need for it - maybe by just one user requesting it. If its a good idea (and doesn't break the bank), Vlad is good at adding these things. I just had this included in Build 3014 "When Find Reference search is performed rules now include where these rules are used" because I sent an email. I posted it 2 years ago in the Forum and it got overlooked - sent another email a few weeks ago and within a day Vlad said it was coming. Thats really cool! The POINT IS that reading a simple feature in release notes is one thing, but reading about it (explanation, example, reasoning for it, use case, etc.) helps us understand and potentially take advantage of it in our future code.

FYI, Here's an image of what I suggested about Search Results (Have not see the final result):
PastedGraphic-3.png
PastedGraphic-3.png (216.86 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
hpl123

Re: about release notes

Post by hpl123 »

1+
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)