Disappearing attribute on form

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jhstephenson

Disappearing attribute on form

Post by Jhstephenson »

I have a weird thing happening on a form where as soon as I select a value for one attribute another disappears. Then when I do a 'Save form on selection change' on another attribute is reappears. Here are some partial screen shots that show what is happening...

This is the way the screen looks when I am creating a new record:
PASS_Entry_1.png
PASS_Entry_1.png (20.09 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
Then I enter a Event date and select an Employee. As soon as I select the employee this is what the screen looks like:
PASS_Entry_2.png
PASS_Entry_2.png (22.07 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
Then I select the Report Purpose and I have it set to do a Save form on selection change'. When it saves the form the field reappears, as follows:
PASS_Entry_3.png
PASS_Entry_3.png (23.23 KiB) Viewed 1652 times

Any ideas on what might be happening?
Jaymer

Re: Disappearing attribute on form

Post by Jaymer »

you have a READ PROTECT rule that is firing.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

Well, that was my original thought too. I do have a read protect on one of the 'tabs' at the top of the form, but nothing on the attribute that is disappearing.
joben

Post by joben »

Jhstephenson wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:07 pm Well, that was my original thought too. I do have a read protect on one of the 'tabs' at the top of the form, but nothing on the attribute that is disappearing.
Did you try to use "Find references" for the attribute that disappears?
findref.png
findref.png (23.6 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
This is incredibly useful when troubleshooting. It will display all rules and other places where the attribute is mentioned.

P.S: Didn't know READ PROTECT was possible for tabs. You mean "Not present when", right?
Regards, Joakim

Jhstephenson

Post by Jhstephenson »

You are correct, it is not a READ PROTECT on the tab, it is just a PROTECT.

I have looked through all of the references on that attribute and do not see anything that would cause it to disappear/reappear.

A couple of other odd things with this attribute that is disappearing...

1. It is the first attribute on the form. It is not set to be calculated, but it is set to have an initial value of CURRENT_TIMESTAMP. When I enter the form the cursor automatically positions on the Event_Date attribute, not the Report_Date attribute. None of the attributes on this form have a Tab Order value defined for them.

2. Once the record has been created, if I modify the Report Date attribute it also disappears, until I save the record. Then it reappears.
Jhstephenson

[Solved (Kind of)]Re: Disappearing attribute on form

Post by Jhstephenson »

We came up with a fix for this issue, but I still don't understand why it is happening...

I just added a separator/end pair to the top of the form, with the width set to 100%, Not Collapsible, and no title for it and now that attribute stays where it should.

It works, but why should it even be necessary?