Tabs inside of a form below fields

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Platinum_ar

Tabs inside of a form below fields

Post by Platinum_ar »

I am looking for a way to accomplish a very simple BO's form:

- a few fields at the top
- three tabs below that group some other fields of that BO inside (The customer doesn't want the "toggle" section with an arrow)

It seems that it is impossible to create tabs inside the form - to display regular attributes and not related records.
I can create sections so the form has tabs at the top but I cannot place any other fields above.
I've tried two forms - one above another - but that leads to two "save" buttons that work separately.

Is there any standard way of doing this? Custom HTML would be a pain, it's a lot of fields in every tab.
It is hard to believe that there is no such thing as a "tab" widget in which I can place more fields :cry:

Any hint? Tip? Please...
Jaymer

Re: Tabs inside of a form below fields

Post by Jaymer »

well, thats a good Q

white not quite a Tab control, you could have 3 buttons (in a HTML cell), all of which run their own process to set a variable.
then you could have 3 of the ' "toggle" section with an arrow' groups (ie. "Separator) EXCEPT
you conditionally show only 1 at a time (based on the variable you set when you click one of those 3 buttons.

And CSS easily allows you to hide the triangle, AND the border surrounding it.
--> button click, process sets var, form refreshes based on Process being run, appropriate Separators hide/show to display desired group of fields

Instead of 3 buttons, you could have a field that is a Radio Button (3 buttons representing the 3 tabs).
A Dynamic Rule can use READ PROTECTS when the Radio Button value is changed, and selectively hide the fields you don't want to display.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

Added to Wish List

This is something that Aware is not at all good at and something I would also like to see

https://awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12273
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

Platinum_ar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:03 pm I am looking for a way to accomplish a very simple BO's form:

- a few fields at the top
- three tabs below that group some other fields of that BO inside (The customer doesn't want the "toggle" section with an arrow)

It seems that it is impossible to create tabs inside the form - to display regular attributes and not related records.
I can create sections so the form has tabs at the top but I cannot place any other fields above.
I've tried two forms - one above another - but that leads to two "save" buttons that work separately.

Is there any standard way of doing this? Custom HTML would be a pain, it's a lot of fields in every tab.
It is hard to believe that there is no such thing as a "tab" widget in which I can place more fields :cry:

Any hint? Tip? Please...
The way to achieve this is not immediately obvious and has caveats.

Layouts are a means to create custom forms that have elements that are not available (but probably should be) directly on forms.

I create a separate Visual Perspective for my complex BOs

Create one layout that is the active form.
Create two panels define one to hold the parent form. Create a process to display the form for the object, use this as the display for the parent panel

Create a second panel on the same layout. This will hold the output from the parent form.

For the form that displays in the parent panel add a row of buttons these will run processes to display the subsidiary forms.

Caveats
  1. Works best as a page, have not tested for pop up forms
  2. Works best when the subsidiaries are related BOs
  3. Does not work brilliantly for edit on a solitary BO, if you have multiple forms for the same BO open for edit you will get "someone has changed the BO" errors.
HTML alternative

If the top part of the form has a minimal amount of data and does not require editing you could put those HTML fields into the form header. Have not tested that though
rbross

Post by rbross »

I have wondered the same thing?

You can't create a VP with Tabs below the parent panel. All Tabs are at the top. It would be nice to be able to have tabs on a form.
it would be nice to be able to have a tab on a form to see the grandchildren of the parent record. Instead of only being able to see the 1st generation!
It seems using buttons and then adding some custom CSS to make them look like buttons is the only workaround at this point. But that's a lot of work!
Roger Ross
AwareIM 8.7 (build 3025) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~
AwareIM 8.5 (build 2828) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~