Error Message when trying to add new Attribute to BO

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
MarkP

Error Message when trying to add new Attribute to BO

Post by MarkP »

Hi everyone,
I am trying to add a new attribute to an existing BO. but when I try to save the changes I get this error message:
Aware Error Message.jpg
Aware Error Message.jpg (21.49 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
It doesnt matter what type of attribute I try to add, it always gives me the same message. I dont have any image attributes or embedded images within any of the existing attributes.
trying to save a second time gives me this:
Second Aware Error Message.jpg
Second Aware Error Message.jpg (16.25 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
I dont get any problems listed when I check the integrity of the application and all of the forms associated with this BO work fine

I have attached a sample BSV of the offending BO which is causing me grief.

Does anybody have any suggestions to assist me?

MarkP
Attachments
SampleBSVGivingError.zip
BSV with Business Object
(53.81 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
PointsWell

Re: Error Message when trying to add new Attribute to BO

Post by PointsWell »

Is the BSV meant to be empty?
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

There should be 1 BO called Sites in it.
If you try to modify this BO you will get the error.

Does this BO not exist?
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

Had a look at this, but as it is a piece out of a much more complex model it's impossible to do much.

Is the Site BO a member of a Business Object Group?

If it is then you get this error when you have an attribute type mismatch between two BOs

For example

BOG Vehicles has BO Cars and BO Trucks and have common Attribute Wheels.

If Cars.Wheels is of type Text but Trucks.Wheels is Number then this error will occur whenever you are trying to make updates. It is not a helpful error message and I only figured this out by accident.

I can't help you diagnose it though, you'd need to look at the BOG and check every member and every common attribute.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Hi PointsWell,
No its not a member of a BOG.
I think what happened was that I was working in the attributes area one day and accidentally pressed the wrong keyboard keys together which may have resulted in some sort of Ctrl Key or Shift key plus other keys being pressed simultaneously. i.e. Ctrl N or Shift X or something like that. so somehow I think this combination has got embedded somewhere in the Aware backend engine.

I thought the best approach would be to delete individual attributes one by one until I could zero in on the culprit but it wont let me delete / edit / add any attributes.
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

You can delete attributes from the tree in the left hand panel. Right click - Delete. This will delete them immediately and does not require a save, and if you have unsaved edits it will effectively refresh the BO and remove your edits.. This may be arduous though as you will need to delete it, create an attribute, save it, repeat.

The other alternative is to export the BSV to XML and manually read the output if you think there is a weird key combo there. This is a less fun way to spend the afternoon.

Good luck.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Hi PointsWell,

You are a genius!
Looked through the XML code and found this in the FromEmailAddress attribute:
ErrorResolved.jpg
ErrorResolved.jpg (70.33 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
So removed the attribute direct from the tree as per your suggestion and then I was able to re-create it successfully as a new attribute.

Thanks so much for your help.

MarkP