Translation to other languages

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
rocketman

Translation to other languages

Post by rocketman »

Hi Guys. Now beginning the daunting task of translating my app into other European languages. I say daunting because when I exported the native english Locale, I have over 3000 lines of text to translate. anyone found an easy way of doing this - like a website where I can upload a file to - or is this just going to be a long slog.

I have at least to do French, German, Polish, Italian, Spanish
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
Jaymer

Re: Translation to other languages

Post by Jaymer »

never thought about it, but i'm sure that could be automated.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Yeah - should be easy if it was a table, but I can't find anything in either the customers database or BasDB that remotely looks like it might contain the locale data. Must be in an AwareIM blob somewhere.

There has to be a better way
Rocketman

hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

No easier way that I know of and the current solution is OK for manual, one by one, translations. I would also like some way to quickly translate all strings to a particular language and then manually go over and correct etc. terms instead.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

send me your awareim (.lcl) local file.... will translate for you in French... if that works for you then do the other also.
From,
Himanshu Jain

AwareIM Consultant (since version 4.0)
DB: MYSQL, MSSQL
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

Wow - good timing for this post... :)

So, I'm in the same situation we need to translate from our native English to French. We did this about 10 years ago (English to Chinese) and I remember it being easy BUT it seems harder now. We exported the .lcl file, went to open it in a Spreadsheet and it's got crazy delimiters that are not consistent.

Can anyone (Support!) please advise on the delimiter pattern? Or if it is accessible in the DB anywhere?

FYI - last time we did this, we put it in a nicely formatted Google Doc, then used Google translate (just a function in google docs using a formula) to do a first attempt at it, then paid a translator to fix it up. That's the "fast" method we used.
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
RLJB

Post by RLJB »

hey Rocketman, it looks like locales are store in file system, Aware > presentation > locales directory

(its not much extra use, as it's just the same as what you export from the config UI)
Rod. Aware 8.6 (latest build), Developer Edition, on OS Linux (Ubuntu) using GUI hosted on AWS EC2, MYSQL on AWS RDS
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Hi Rod, Himanchu,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier Himanchu, I kinda got sidetracked with lots of REST stuff. Clubs are coming alive after lockdown, so no shortage of enquirers at the moment - just got to turn them into orders, upgrade my server and update to 8.6.

You are right about the delimiters - what we need is some way of outputting just the native English, to (preferably) a single column CSV , getting it translated, then reading it back in to a "new" locale file. Anyway, on the back burner for now
Rocketman