Apple vs Android - determining platform at login

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

Apple vs Android - determining platform at login

Post by Jaymer »

From what I'm seeing, I see different results based on if I log in with Android vs. iPhone

I'm sure that several years ago, Vlad replied to me in an email something about how the Android platform doesn't respond when Queried as to what device (or size) is... or at least it replies in a diff. way than iPhone. (You can clearly see different results in the Tomcat log when both devices log in.)

So when I login with iPhone, my Mobile VP correctly starts.
But from the same login screen with Android, Aware starts up in normal "graphic" desktop mode - which doesn't fit on the Android phone.

One solution is to have a menu option to manually "Switch to Mobile"
Another is to make sure the users use a shortcut on their home screen to login, with "mobile_platform=Phone" in the URL
Another would be to add a checkbox to the login screen which has a checkbox and passes "mobile_platform=Phone"

What are other options?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
rocketman

Re: Apple vs Android - determining platform at login

Post by rocketman »

Ha! sounds like we're having the same issues. Been struggling with this for years. The problem with having a menu option is that when you switch VP's AIM doesn't pick up on any theme changes (I use "High Contrast" for my mobile login because the phones are always out in bright sunlight). So my iPhone users get a nice white on black experience but Android users get black on white and have to go looking for some shade

The caveat is I'm still on 8.1 - things might have changed. In V7, there used to be an option to switch themes from a menu option but that disappeared. in early V8. Maybe it's time to upgrade.

I found this on the web which might help in the short term https://www.techbout.com/request-deskto ... one-17720/
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5