Pimp My App

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
johntalbott

Pimp My App

Post by johntalbott »

Here is a brief walk-thru of an AwareIM app demonstrating some enhanced look, feel and functionality possibilities.

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cr1efTVhvWc

Contact me to take live look and/or discuss project/business opportunities.

Thanks,
JT

Email: [email protected]
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
PointsWell

Re: Pimp My App

Post by PointsWell »

Very nice.

*Looks at own app, presses delete and puts computer on eBay*
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Very nice, indeed
Aware IM Support Team
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Great design :) and I can also do designs like this if John is busy :D.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

very nice design , love the theme and the simplicity

I note the use of opening an object in a new tab is not used here thereby achieving UI simplicity. I have wanted to do this but I am stuck in the concept that opening new tabs to allow a user to switch between tabs, rather than have to close the form and reload data is more efficient but not so pretty.

Any thoughts on having such a design with an option feature button of breaking out into a new tab at any stage. So if a user wants to compare objects outside of the normal routine or for that matter run a query to check on something , it can be done easily enough without having to go backwards and forwards reloading data and forms.
johntalbott

Post by johntalbott »

In short, there is likely a way to accomplish your goal in some way. It would be best to see your specific use case.

In this particular example, a few notes:
1. Throughout the process of entering auto quote information, the right navigation section can be referenced to view information that has been entered along the way without having to leave the current "wizard" section.

2. The user can expand and view the details for multiple drivers or vehicles at the same time. While not tabs, technically the "expansion forms" could be editable rather than a pop-up if the forms are relatively simple.

3. Via the top nav bar, the user can switch between the current Quote and Manage My Agents without any data reloading. You can see this at around 3:30 in the video.

4. It would take some creative thought, but having multiple quotes open at the same time (via tabs or some other way) is possible.

Other notes:
1. It's may not jump out in the screencast, but in general you'll see form / grid data refresh with minimal UI re-rendering. Meaning forms and grids don't jump around so the UI context stays where it should be. Example - when saving and closing a driver or vehicle form, the related grids and expansion forms are updated without changing focus or collapsing the expanded forms.

2. Except for specific scenarios, only data that has changed is saved to the server. This made a noticeable performance gain when saving.

***There is a lot of "behind the scenes" custom code that has been modularized to be re-usable with other AIM applications.***
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

ACDC wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:08 am very nice design , love the theme and the simplicity

I note the use of opening an object in a new tab is not used here thereby achieving UI simplicity. I have wanted to do this but I am stuck in the concept that opening new tabs to allow a user to switch between tabs, rather than have to close the form and reload data is more efficient but not so pretty.

Any thoughts on having such a design with an option feature button of breaking out into a new tab at any stage. So if a user wants to compare objects outside of the normal routine or for that matter run a query to check on something , it can be done easily enough without having to go backwards and forwards reloading data and forms.
My 2 cents. I more often than not use the same approach as John i.e a "single page" layout or whatever you want to call it where I have 1 main layout the user works on at a time and I don´t use tabs and sure using tabs is better performance wise but to be honest, when you really look at it for most apps, I would say the performance load you would gain is very small (not something I have hard data for though and I have not tested it using performance tools etc.). It´s very rare the user goes back and forth between layouts just for the hell of it, they usually open up a layout and work on it (opening popups and manipulating data on the content panels in the layout etc. etc.). The only exception is when a user needs to compare things but 2 things to think about, 1) how often does a user really do that? , 2) the user does whatever you "direct" them to and allow in the app i.e if you don´t use tabs, the user adapts to that and works with what´s available. I know UX guys might not like that last no 2 point :) but IMO you need to balance UX with all other things like UI, system design etc. etc..

For most apps, the user is working on 1 thing at a time and if the user needs to compare things, they can do that in a number of ways. First of all, in most designs it is possible to use the Aware VP tabs, just add some fancy CSS and you can incorporate it into any design IF you really need tabs that is. For the comparing thing, you could also for example open up a popup where you then use Aware tabs OR create you own tabs (plain HTML/CSS tabs which then via a custom solution "save"/keep track of the content of each tab and when the user clicks a tab, a layout is opened up) OR you could also like John suggests be creative and do some fancy, smart solution. I would however advise you to really think about which part of the app REALLY needs this and what the performance load gain would be.

If you look at most designs in the screenshot gallery here you see the same thing and the main app I have most screenshots of (Fokalpoint) is a good example of the single page layout for a very complex application with a lot of modules and stuff in it:
https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic ... 238#p47238

NB: This doesn´t mean you shouldn´t optimize your app for performance etc. and I am sure John does this as well. There are A LOT of small things here and there, internally in Aware and also in the frontend where you can tweak thinks to optimize performance, load etc.. It´s a holistic thing usually unique for each app.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
swiftinitpvtltd

Post by swiftinitpvtltd »

johntalbott wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:06 am Here is a brief walk-thru of an AwareIM app demonstrating some enhanced look, feel and functionality possibilities.

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cr1efTVhvWc

Contact me to take live look and/or discuss project/business opportunities.

Thanks,
JT

Email: [email protected]
This exactly looks like any new modern framework.