the LOWdown on why some images appear sideways in Aware

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

the LOWdown on why some images appear sideways in Aware

Post by Jaymer »

remember these?
camera.jpg
camera.jpg (22.96 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
think about when you went around taking pics with these (way back before an iPhone)
MOSTLY, you held the camera in the orientation shown here... "landscape", "horizontal", "sideways", etc.

to the manufs that made these sensor grids, the 'normal' way to shoot an image was "landscape", so we'll refer to this as normal

but now we walk around with cell phones in a vertical orientation (which is 90deg. Clockwise of "normal"), but they still have the same "kinda" technology in them, albeit higher res.

so if you take a pic in normal "sideways" "landscape" orientation, its "normal" to the chip,
but if you take it "vertical" (again, its normal for the the way you use a phone, but rotated according to the Manufs and history), it stores EXIF info that says in order to see this in the orientation the person recorded it, you need to rotate it 90deg CW.

Most versions of Windows (and Mac) know about this, and they have written the OS to show images according the the EXIF rotation thats stored in the image... this way it looks normal for the millions of users when browsing an image on the screen.

Most of the time in Aware, the images display just fine.
The Aware problem I'm having is that images are displaying Sideways when PRINTED in the internal report tool - because, I would surmise, Jasper is ignoring the EXIF info... and without that info telling it to "rotate 90 CW for the way the user expects to see it", the image prints un-rotated - sideways - we think it rotated it to the left 90deg., but it didn't - its the "natural" way the camera microchip sensor "saw" the image when you phone was in the vertical position.

This is happening in 8.4
Not tested in later versions.
I'd like Vlad to see if there's any mention of this in Jasper -- to use/ignore EXIF on images.

If you never printed images, you've maybe never had this issue.
If you always take "landscape" images on your cell phone, you've most likey never had this issue.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL