Snap into camera function on web browser

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
JHew

Snap into camera function on web browser

Post by JHew »

We have a requirement for users to be able to quickly take multiple pictures and add them to forms. I can see there is an option to do this via creating a mobile app but this is not the way we want to go. Is there any way to get this working on a browser based application?
aware_support

Re: Snap into camera function on web browser

Post by aware_support »

If you want to upload multiple document files, then you need to use "multiple file upload" functionality available in Aware IM (I think there is a video tutorial about that).
Aware IM Support Team
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

JHew wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:09 pmbrowser based application?
so does that mean on a desktop (a device with no camera),
or on a phone/tablet (which has a camera) BUT NOT on the "native mobile app" ? (ie. the Monaca/Phone gap build route)

One of the reasons for making the "native" mobile app was to give your apps (through Cordova plugins) access to Contacts/Camera/BarCode scanning, etc.

WITHOUT doing that, you can still use your phone to access the exact same aware app (as Desktop uses) and upload photos.
No problem (except the images are kinda large and may need to be resized in aware, or before uploading).
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
JHew

Post by JHew »

On a Desktop, ideally we would be able to use an external webcam for the user to take pictures which would be saved directly into the form.

A bit of context to what we are trying to achieve, we have a form called 'missing and damaged' which is linked to a customer order, when we receive the order from the customer it goes on to the shopfloor for assessment and in some case pictures need to be taken of the missing or damaged parts, along with this other details need to be provided such as the part number, the quantity and reason these parts need to be replaced.

So in the case of this form here, we need away to replace the 'select file' buttons which upload a picture from the desktop into something they can press to active a webcam, take the picture and save it directly into the attribute, so the users can quickly take pictures when they are filling out the form. At the moment they are using a camera, taking the photos, uploading them to their desktop and then adding them to the form which is too slow.

Screenshot 2021-05-06 112218.png
Screenshot 2021-05-06 112218.png (53.48 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

You would need to access the camera via a plugin of some sort running in the browser.
Not sure if anyone has developed such a feature for desktop webcam from within AIM

This seems a possible solution but would need to be integrated into AwareIM in some way
https://webrtc.org/

I would be keen to chip in for this functionality, it would be a nice to have feature and provides a good alternative to file upload.
Subject to pricing off course :)

I once had a plug-in developed for a local scanner, where scanning direct to the AwareiM form was possible. This replaced a scan to file and then upload making the process on the client side very efficient and accurate. It also could use the webcam. Something similar to what you looking for
However the plugin needs upgrading, also the server side licensing became too expensive. The plug in was based on this: https://demo.dynamsoft.com/web-twain/
JHew

Post by JHew »

Thanks, thats looks like exactly what we would need. How do we go about getting costings for this to be developed?
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

See this thread.
Contact both Jim and Himanshu.
The same stuff applies to what Himanshu will/is develop for Jim - as to taking an image vs scanner
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL