Who Uses EXEC_SPF?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BLOMASKY

Who Uses EXEC_SPF?

Post by BLOMASKY »

I use this in my applications to update attributes from a SQL Stored Procedure. There is a bug in the fact it does not return strings only numbers. Vlad is planning on making a change that will require code changes wherever it is currently being used.

Am I the only one who uses this a lot in their application?

Bruce
PointsWell

Re: Who Uses EXEC_SPF?

Post by PointsWell »

I use it a little to compile dashboard data so I only ever get numbers back so would not have noticed this issue.

As a side note, what does SPF stand for? Stored Procedure Function? It automatically makes me think of Sun Protection Factor, but then SMH also means Sydney Morning Herald to me, so maybe I am too old to use the internets.
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

I "Assumes" SPF = Stored Procedure Function since the syntax is JUST like a SQL Function (with the = to the left of the function name, BUT it is a Stored procedure and has that syntax with the OUT attribute.

Bruce
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Bruce, I've got it scattered across several apps at multiple customers. Was glad that it got added.
Was a pain tho that it didn't do strings. Would have saved me some work.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
nhofkes

Post by nhofkes »

BLOMASKY wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:31 pm I use this in my applications to update attributes from a SQL Stored Procedure. There is a bug in the fact it does not return strings only numbers. Vlad is planning on making a change that will require code changes wherever it is currently being used.
Has this meanwhile been amended? The current Aware IM documentation (https://www.awareim.com/dokuwiki/doku.p ... f/exec_spf) states:
The returned valus is of Plain Text type. If you need to convert it to number use the AS_NUMBER function on the result
This is actually the opposite.
Niels
(V9.0 build 3241 - MariaDB - Windows)
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

Yes, it works fine to return a numeric field. I use this often.

Bruce
nhofkes

Post by nhofkes »

I am sure it works fine, but my question was: does it return a number or a string?
If it returns a number, then the documentation is not correct. If it returns a string, then this must have been changed at some time between your original post and today, because you wrote that it returns only numbers.
Thanks for the clarification.
Niels
(V9.0 build 3241 - MariaDB - Windows)
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

I have only been using it to return a numeric. Perhaps it is smarter now and returns whatever the "OUT" variable in the stored procedure is defined as. Perhaps??

Bruce