New Install issue on AWS - cannot access on port 80

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

New Install issue on AWS - cannot access on port 80

Post by Jaymer »

weirdest thing
have tried on 8.5 new install
all works fine on default port 8080

after changing to port 80 (in startup control panel), the initial relaunch has an expected problem because IIS is running already on port 80.
after stopping that and making sure port 80 is clear, aware will start fine (tomcat log is normal)

on the server RDP session, accessing aware from "localhost" works,
accessing with the IP (or from home) will not connect (this worked fine on 8080)

BUT port 80 worked fine using IIS and the default IIS site, yet now port 80 doesn't reach Tomcat (no log entries)

kinda stumped
never had this issue on Upcloud, and AWS has a few more security hoops to jump through.
But I must be missing something...
YES, port 80 is open in Firewall AND in AWS security panel (remember, IIS on port 80 seemed to work)

All ideas appreciated.
Jaymer...
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
joben

Re: New Install issue on AWS - cannot access on port 80

Post by joben »

I'd inactivate the Windows Defender Firewall completely (temporarily) and try connecting from the outside, just to make sure it isn't the problem.
I know some of the inbound rules on the Windows Defender Firewall advanced settings can be very annoying, because the rules can be bound to applications, dlls, etc, rather than ports.
Regards, Joakim

Jaymer

Re: New Install issue on AWS - cannot access on port 80

Post by Jaymer »

perfect
this worked
i disabled per your instructions and port 80 started working.
so I reactivated the firewall and disabled that default World Wide Web Services rule, and added my own for port 80.
seemed to continue to work.
nothing in that default rule seemed to indicate is was "tied to" IIS, but it did say it was a predefined rule, so possibly.

thx
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL