Still issues with images getting rotated on upload (if anyone cares). IMPORTANT discovery!

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

Still issues with images getting rotated on upload (if anyone cares). IMPORTANT discovery!

Post by Jaymer »

per https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic ... 61&p=51668

Its been 1.5 yrs since this issue started affecting one of my customers (who regularly pays Maint.)
I clearly have a "portait" image saved on PC and Mac.
Portrait1.png
Portrait1.png (101.78 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Yet after uploading thru Aware's control, the image is in the file system sideways.
And the dimensions (File properties from the OS) show its wider than tall? (it WAS portrait as in the image above, it SHOULD BE taller, than wide)
I know support has said its not an Aware problem, but Its hard to convince a customer why its not Aware's fault?
Why not Aware? Cause vlad says so? What does the customer care about that? To the customer, the images get rotated incorrectly.
Vlad says "Search Google for the solution" ... yet I've never seen a solution.

I know others have been using the SCALE command - and me too.
This is a Rule on the Picture BO:

Code: Select all

If EstimatePictures.Height > 2999 Then 
		EstimatePictures.Pic = SCALE_IMAGE(EstimatePictures.Pic,IMAGE_WIDTH(EstimatePictures.Pic)/3,IMAGE_HEIGHT(EstimatePictures.Pic)/3)
From my testing, THIS IS THE PROBLEM - Aware's SCALE_IMAGE function
I can take a "large" image from a cell phone, and using editing software, can re-size that so it DOES NOT meet the criteria in this Rule.

TEST # 1
If I upload the original image from the phone, it gets scaled and shows landscape mode (exactly what was originally reported years ago in that thread).
If I upload the reduced size image so NO SCALING happens, the image retains its orientation exactly like it should.
The only difference that I see is the smaller image DID NOT have to be re-sized by Aware via the Rule.

TEST # 2
One could argue that something "happened" internally to the reduced file during my manual re-sizing.
So I tested the app with the resize rule DISABLED on the BO.
Uploaded both files again.
NOW, because the large file wasn't being changed by SCALE_IMAGE it retained its orientation just like everyone would expect.
BOTH files displayed correctly.

So, for anyone having this issue, the 1st thing I would check is to disable any SCALE_IMAGE command and see if the image appears as expected.
We need more proof that SCALE_IMAGE is the culprit.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

Re: Still issues with images getting rotated on upload (if anyone cares). IMPORTANT discovery!

Post by Jaymer »

@support
So is there going to be any resolution to this?
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL